EMU gymnastics team falls to Air Force

Andrew Mascharka | Eastern Echo

Eastern Michigan junior Chantelle Loehner poses for the judges during her floor routine in the Eagles 195.925-194.600 loss to Central Michigan Friday night.

Last updated: 03/05/14 7:28pm

The Eastern Michigan University women’s gymnastics team lost a close match Saturday to the Air Force Academy 193.825-193.575.

The loss drops EMU to 3-8 overall and 1-3 in the Mid-American Conference. This meet was the second straight Eastern competed in against the Air Force. Air Force also took the first meeting, 193.675-193.225.

Air Force improved to 5-6 on the season.

Junior Anna Willette led the Eagles on the vault and won the event with an impressive 9.800. Sophomore Kimberly Ebeyer and freshman Bianca Jordan tied with a 9.725, to take second in the event.

Freshman Kelsie Brooks won the bars for Eastern with a 9.675, followed closely by senior Ashley Quinton and junior Carrina Lo Bello with a 9.650 and a 9.625 respectively.

Redshirt junior Kaylee Meyers led the Eagles on the balance beam with a 9.775. Willette took second with a 9.700 and Lo Bello placed third for EMU with a 9.625.

The floor was where EMU really impressed. They scored a 48.775 on the floor, which was close to a season-high. Redshirt junior Chantelle Loehner scored a 9.800 to tie Air Force gymnast Kara Witgen for first place in the event.

Following Loehner was Meyers with a 9.775 to take second and Paulina Miller with a 9.750 to take third. Senior Shawna Ciaramella and the aforementioned Ebeyer rounded off the impressive event for Eastern with 9.725 for both.

Eastern competes again on Saturday, March 8 at Bowen Field House. Eastern will be hosting the Eagle Invitational and be competing against Air Force, Temple University, and Northern Illinois University.

Published Mar 5, 2014 in Sports

Comments