News Briefs

*EMU Alumni to share words of wisdom in Professional Development Event at the EMU College of Business on Sept. 18*

The EMU community and members of the public will be able to get tips from successful alumni during the conference at the COB. Speakers include: Charlie Batch, former Quarterback for EMU who played professionally for the Detroit Lions and Pittsburg Steelers; James Webb, chairman of Aon Risk Services; and Joyce Jeneraux, president of the Gannett Michigan Region – Detroit Free Press. The conference is from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and students can register for the event by visiting emich.edu/cob/conference/login.php.

*Journalist Marc Lamont Hill due to speak Sept. 17 at the Student Center*

Rescheduled from Sept. 9 due to a family emergency, award-winning journalist and author Marc Lamont Hill will bring to light social, cultural, and racial issues he encountered during his career. The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium and is open to the public.

*Ypsilanti Block Party Rescheduled to Sept. 20*

Due to inclement weather, the Ypsilanti Block Party was rescheduled from Sept. 13 to Sept. 20. The event is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. It is a collaborative event between Ypsilanti and Eastern Michigan University and was created to bring a strong sense of unity between the community and the school. The event is free, and there will be vendors and fun for both children and adults along with food and live music.

*EMU University Gallery Exhibitions beginning in the month of October*

The University Gallery in the Student Center has two exhibits set up for the month of October. The first is the Great Lakes Drawing Biennial Exhibit, which is open through Oct. 15 and exhibits works from artists in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and other states. It will highlight contemporary drawing and a reception for the juried work will be held on Sept. 24 from 4-7 p.m.

The second installation will be New Fiber 2014, which runs from Oct. 27 until the end of the fall semester. The juried show will have fiber art in a range of forms featured in traditional and contemporary ways. The reception for this event will be held on Nov. 5 from 4-7 p.m.

*Chance The Rapper Concert at EMU, with special guest Travis Scott*

Tickets are still available for the Chance the Rapper concert at the Convocation Center on Wednesday, Oct. 8. Doors open at 7 p.m. This performer has been touring the past year and has made stops in Detroit. He is now on his Verge Campus tour. Travis Scott will also be performing at EMU. Other upcoming artists include Jason DeRulo and Young & Sick, dates TBA.