Why Bernie Sanders deserves your vote over Hillary Clinton

Many southeastern Michiganders are excited to attend the “A Future to Believe In Rally” Monday at Eastern Michigan University’s Convocation Center, where Bernie Sanders is set to speak about a “wide range of issues important to Michiganders including making college affordable, reforming our health care system, and getting big money out of politics,” as it states on Sanders’ campaign website.

I am one of those supporters who is absolutely ecstatic to attend the event and hear Sanders speak; and, while I’ve already heard most of what he has to say, that is one of the very reasons I back his campaign for president — because for “over 40 years Sanders has built his political career on a very focused message about what he calls a ‘rigged economy,’” according to Tamara Keith, a NPR White House Correspondent.

Contrast that to Hillary Clinton, whose political career has been a rollercoaster of inconsistencies, platitudes and kowtows to corporate interests — including ties to special interests and Wall Street. She was also on the Wal-Mart Board of Directors for six years, between 1986 and 1992, during which she “remained silent as the world's largest retailer waged a major campaign against labor unions seeking to represent store workers,” according to the Huffington Post. And on October 11, 2002, according to the U.S. Senate Legislation and Records, she voted in favor of the “Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq,” which lead to a decade-long illegal war and thousands of needless casualties (most being innocent civilians).

Bernie Sanders strongly rallies against corporate interests and Wall Street, he has heavily criticized Wal-Mart for its poor wages and he voted against the Iraq War. A series of positions that only add to his resume as a progressive. Which, unlike Hillary, has earned him the trust of every-day Americans who are sick of seeing bought politicians move their lips to false promises and sickeningly obvious lies about somehow bettering the nation through this or that particular special method of the day.

Bottom line, Americans are tired of hearing the same old same old from vacuous politicians, because they never follow through; but, with Bernie Sanders’ history of consistency and his genuine passion for the people, I think we have a shot at a better America. An America that is inclusive to all people, no matter their gender, sexual preference, ethnicity, religion or non-belief or economic class.

“A Future to Believe In Rally” will be at the EMU Convocation Center Monday, February 15. Doors open at 12:30 P.M. and the event is free.