The best places to eat in Ypsi

Trying to adjust to living in an unfamiliar city can be difficult, let alone finding the buildings on Eastern Michigan University's campus or exploring the dozens of restaurants that the city of Ypsilanti has to offer. While the choices are endless, here are a few restaurants that will appeal to a variety of palates and satisfy the most intense hunger cravings.

Sidetrack Bar & Grill at 56 E Cross St.

While parking can be a challenge in Depot Town the food at Sidetrack Bar & Grill more than makes up for it with its wide selection of burgers and Michigan-based beers. Its burgers are well known among Michigan food fanatics, but if you aren't in the mood for a burger a majority of the menu is just as delicious as the burgers it is known for. The atmosphere of the bar can be hit or miss depending on if you like it loud and a little crowded. The train is a perfect touch to the inside aesthetic and the kitchen is also expanding.

Red Rock at 207 W Michigan Ave.

This restaurant serves excellent barbeque including burnt ends, mac and cheese, beef brisket and pulled pork. If you go there definitely give the Brussels sprouts a try, the homemade bacon-inspired glaze is truly an experience on its own. The food is a little expensive but the price is worth it for the quality.

Beezy's Cafe at 20 N Washington St.

For those who are in the mood for breakfast and brunch Beezy's Cafe is the place to go. The menu might be small but almost all of the menu items are great, with the french toast and coffee at the top of the list. Similar to its slogan, it serves simple and honest food. Friendly service complements the experience well and look out for their rotating breakfast pastries; the cinnamon rolls are top notch.

La Fiesta Mexicana at 529 W Cross St.

This restaurant serves some of the best authentic Mexican food in Ypsilanti. The awards showcased on the walls are there for a reason. While La Fiesta Mexicana is relatively empty during the day, the dinner rush sweeps in around 7 p.m., making this restaurant a lively place to eat at night. The couple that owns the restaurant will make sure that you feel at home too.

Chef Restaurant Mediterranean Grill at 1098 N Huron River Drive

Chef Restaurant Mediterranean Grill is a hidden gem in the strip mall located behind EMU. Anyone who enjoys Mediterranean cuisine should give this restaurant a chance; the shawarma and Turkish coffee are fantastic, while the rest of the menu lives up to the same standard.

Tower Inn Cafe at 701 W Cross St.

Located right off of EMU's campus, Tower Inn Cafe serves a variety of food items including burgers and pizza. While the pizza is a little expensive the quality matches the price whether you order the award-winning pizza blanca or choose to make your own pizza. It also seems like the owners are trying to give away their restaurant sometimes with their excellent deals on food. With two happy hours from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., half-off appetizers and drinks definitely make Tower Inn an even better experience.

Dom Bakeries at 1305 Washtenaw Road

All of the baked goods that Dom Bakeries offers are delicious and incredibly cheap, ranging from apple fritters to long johns to glazed donuts. While Dom Bakeries is open 24 hours a day they only accept cash transactions. Personally I recommend the apple-filled doughnut; if you’re a fan of apple pies -- lo and behold this miracle of a pastry.

Insomnia Cookies at 733 W Cross St.

For anyone trying to fulfill a craving for sweets Insomnia Cookies is the place to go. Their menu ranges from larger specialty cookies that are all worth trying once – ice cream, cookie cakes and ice cream crammed between two cookies in what is known as a “cookiewich.” Insomnia Cookies is not only a short walk off of EMU's campus, but it even delivers until 3 a.m. This is the place to go for a late night snack, without question.