stormy chromer

Local band, Stormy Chromer, album release party

Local Ypsilanti area band, Stormy Chromer, performed at their album release party at the Blind Pig on Saturday night in Ann Arbor for their debut album titled, “A tale of two mouths.” The album was recorded at Solid Sounds Studios, and engineered by Josh Wiechman. Stormy Chromer is made up of four main members Amin Lanseur, Spencer Hanson, Ryan King, and Brendan Collins. Lanseur and Hanson are both music students at EMU.

“The album has something in it for everyone,” said Lanseur, and band-mate Hanson called the album, “ an eclectic mix”. “The album is a diverse collection of songs each coming from different places in one of our hearts,” said King.

Stormy Chromer has began to developed a dedicated fan-base throughout Washtenaw county, and surrounding areas performing mostly at the Blind Pig and Bona Sera in Ypsilanti.

“My favorite thing about Stormy is how well they connect with the crowd. They can sense the vibe in the room and create a show that lifts the entire audience. It’s obvious how passionate the guys are about their music, and the energy they bring is contagious,” said Megan Widyanto, EMU senior, biology major.

The Blind Pig was packed from the show’s opening at 9 p.m. until it’s close at 2 a.m. Easily over 100 people showed up throughout the evening dancing and singing with the band while purchasing the latest Stormy Chromer gear. During the first set Stormy welcomed to the stage Jordan Vale on trumpet and Devin Webster on Trombone. Stormy often incorporates a variety of instruments to help create their unique sound and allow for many artists to be part of the music.

“The Nord ” is my favorite song on the album because I grew up listening to this type of music,“ said Collins.

Stormy Chromer began forming when long-term friends Lanseur and King attended Umphrey McGee’s music festival and were inspired to recreate that style of music. Lanseur later met Hanson through EMU’s music department. The two worked closely together in jazz class which blossomed their relationship and eventually led to making music outside of school. The band was completed as Collins met the others in the Ypsilanti community that joined in on the band's exploration through music.

Stormy Chromer officially formed in 2014 and performed their first show at the old Woodruffs location just before it was closed. Since 2014 the band has done numerous shows throughout Michigan as well as branching out to Chicago. The band has also released both an EP, and their first full length album.

“I have known Stormy Chromer since they started. The best thing about this band is their diverse and unique sound. If you’re looking for a band that will surprise you every show, check out Stormy Chromer,” said Jake Manderfield, EMU alumni. Manderfield attended Saturday's show with his wife.

Stormy Chromer has talked about jumping into the festival circuit. Touring from festival to festival or even mini-tours between local venues in different cities. The next local Stormy Chromer show is on Oct. 7 at Bona Sera in Downtown Ypsilanti. Doors open at 10 p.m. and the show is free.

For more information on the band and for interest in acquiring their music visit www.stormychromer.com or www.facebook.com/StormyChromerlive .