EMU Rowing Team.

EMU Rowing Starts Crowdfunding Campaign

The rowing team hopes to raise money to buy new equipment.

The Eastern Michigan rowing team launched a crowdfunding campaign on April 25 to help pay for different equipment that the team needs to compete. The GoFundMe account is up for 30 days with the goal of reaching $10,000 to help aid the team in buying new equipment. In the first day, the team raised more than $1,250. The GoFundMe account has specifically laid out what the donated money will be spent on for the team, ranging from new travel uniforms to a brand new 4+ boat.

“Our team is responsible for some of our budget when we want extra things. For example, last year we started a GoFundMe  to earn money for a new boat,” Alicia Schmidt said. “We got 70% of our $15,000 amount done then the school helped to find the rest. This year we are asking to raise $10,000. The money that we make will go towards either equipment for boats like seats, oars, the shoes in the boat, or new clothing for the team to look more unified while racing along with other things for the team.”

These donations for new equipment are mainly to be used for the 2019-20 season, as the team is wrapping up its season with three events over the next month. The teams next event is the MACRA Championships in Grand Rapids, Mich. on April 28. After that they will take part in the Jefferson Dad Vail Regatta from May 10-11 in Philadelphia. Before closing out their season with the CAA Championships on May 19 in Pennsauken, New Jersey.

“It’s important that we do it because the school only budgets so much for each sport to use during the year. The rest of our funding comes from either asking the school nicely, which doesn’t always work or we need to reach out to others for help,” Schmidt said. “From my understanding we’ve always fundraised for money. As of last year we started doing it online so we could have a better outreach to the people who can donate. Our coaches ask us to promote the funding on our social media pages and to share it with as many people as we can.”

The Eagles are hoping to raise enough money to help improve their team’s equipment before the deadline of the project on May 25 at 3 p.m. If you would like to donate to the team you can do so here.

“I think that people should donate because we are a team that gives back to the community and works hard for everything we do. We have also been having good races and getting quicker each year. And we grow as a team and as athletes the more we are supported,” Schmidt said.