Ball State

Eagles women’s soccer team falls to Ball State on the road

Eastern Michigan will face Northern Illinois in home conference opener.

The Eastern Michigan women’s soccer team fell to the Ball State Cardinals at Briner Sports Complex in Muncie, Ind. on Sunday, Sept. 29. Ball State jumped out to a 2-1 lead at halftime before the Eagles tied the game in the second half. The Cardinals would go onto win 3-2 in overtime. Sarah Ash scored a goal for the Eagles while Rebecca Przybylo had four saves.

In the only exhibition game of the year, the Eagles defeated St. Bonaventure on the road on Aug. 11. Kristin Hullibarger and Amanda Cripps each scored goals in the win, as Cripps found the back of the net twice in the final five minutes of the match. Cripps also played goalkeeper for 30 minutes in the victory. Dunn was the goalkeeper for 30 minutes too. In the Eagles home opener, they tied 2-2 in double overtime with Oakland at Scicluna Field. 

EMU continued to earn positive outcomes with a 1-0 victory over Detroit Mercy on Aug. 25. Marla Cobetto had the only goal for either team, while Dunn had four saves to hold off the Titans. Then the schedule got a bit tougher for the Eagles as they faced Michigan State, Louisville and Creighton on the road within 10 days. The Eagles lost all three games as Sabrina McNeill scored her first goal of the season against Creighton. 

Eastern got back on track in their fifth road game in a row, as they drew versus Youngstown State on Sept. 13. Neither team was able to get on the scoreboard but the Eagles threatened all game long, forcing Youngstown State’s goalkeeper Kate McEachern to earn 14 saves. Dunn had four saves for Eastern Michigan in the scoreless tie. 

Following the 1-0 loss against Dayton, the Eagles will played two of their next three games on the road. The first was a 1-0 loss in overtime against Loyola-Chicago, before beginning conference play against Miami (OH) and Ball State. Eastern Michigan lost both games by a combined score of 6-3.

A reporter at the Echo reached out to EMU Media Relations but no one from the team was made available for comment.

The Eagles will play two of their next three games at home versus conference opponents. Northern Illinois will come to Ypsilanti to play Eastern Michigan at Scicluna Field on Friday, Oct. 4. Two days later, Western Michigan will come to town before the Eagles head to Toledo to face the Rockets on Thursday, Oct. 10.