dababy-blame-it-on-baby-one-listen-review.jpg

DaBaby returns with 'Blame It On Baby,' a failed attempt at new sounds and potential growth

The new LP is more evidence to the fact that this rapper has a hard time switching up his flow.

The newest “Drop” from this rapper isn’t the new and improved album that many fans were looking for, but is filled with bops nevertheless. This past Friday, April 17, Johnathan Kirk, better known by his stage name DaBaby, released his second studio album titled Blame It On Baby with a quarantine inspired album artwork.

While he has a countless number of mixtapes out, the artist became a rising star over the past year with his more recent projects such as KIRK and Baby on Baby. As he has gathered tons of fans and stardom, along with controversy and notoriety, many complain that the majority of this Charlotte-based rapper's work sounds the same and his flow rarely changes. 

The new LP includes 13 tracks, some of which are seemingly an attempt at a new sound, but not a very successful one. However, the plethora of famous collaborations help the project’s likability and will surely bring in even more new listeners.

Many of the most famous rappers today are featured on this album including Quavo, Future, Roddy Rich, NBA Youngboy, A Boogie wit da Hoodie and Megan Thee Stallion, as well as R&B singer Ashanti.

View this post on Instagram

???

A post shared by “BLAME IT ON BABY” OUT NOW! (@dababy) on

DaBaby announced the new project just days before it’s release with a list of these features posted to Instagram, which made fans of every artist super excited.

Prior to the album’s launch, one single was released called “Find My Way” which was more acoustic and presented a different style than some of DaBaby’s old work. The song was released alongside a short film-like music video. This release made me excited for the album, hoping for tracks like it, but most of the songs unfortunately didn’t live up to my expectations.

The new project doesn’t show much difference in sound and I think he could definitely still work on being more versatile. 

On the track “SAD SH*T,” DaBaby makes an attempt at a more singsong trap sound, most likely trying to counter his usual flow. However, many listeners took to social media that this wasn’t any more enjoyable. 

Nevertheless, people still love many songs on the album including “LIGHTSKIN SH*T,” “ROCKSTAR” and “NASTY” all of which are fun hits, some holding top spots on ITunes Charts. 

Alongside the project’s release, there was an official music video released for “JUMP” that has already surpassed 5 million views on YouTube.

If you haven’t heard of this musician, you should definitely check out some of his most famous songs such as “Suge” and “BOP” because he has created some masterpieces such as these worth adding to your playlist. 

While DaBaby didn’t show the potential growth that fans hoped for, tons of people, myself included, will still be listening to the new LP regardless. As of now, I still like his last two projects more but am hoping for new and improved music to come in the future.

I would give this new album 3 out of 5 Swoops.