2019-11-18-image-18.jpg

Opinion: TikTok is becoming a revolutionary platform in the music industry

For music creators and lovers, TikTok is an amazing place.

TikTok is a fast-growing social media platform, where users share content by uploading short-form videos. People with a multitude of talents have seen their fans go from zero to thousands by using it. For music especially though, this app has been a huge place for listeners to discover great new artists, and musicians to find an enormous amount of fans as well. 

In 2020 alone, TikTok claims more than 70 artists secured major label deals as a result of going viral. Additionally, a good amount of tracks from artists small and large have been played on repeat, used for humorous trends, intensely choreographed dances, and more. These audio clips become widely known, along with the skits or moves that are now associated with them. 

With that being said, it is clear that this new era of music will bring much more content, as well as much more competition. As an avid music lover myself though, I have greatly enjoyed finding some amazing rising stars on TikTok. Here are some of my favorites:

J. Maya (@j.mayamusic)

After graduating from Harvard and planning to attend Harvard Law, this 20-year-old’s life soon changed when her song about Greek mythology blew up. “Achilles Heel,” got millions of views and over a million streams on Spotify in just the first month. It was then that the rising artist decided to drop out, move to LA, and pursue music full-time. Still, her newer TikTok videos are not getting as much attention as they should be, but her talent is unmatched and the recognition is well-deserved. 

@j.mayamusic

i wake up every day so grateful for this community❤️ thank you for everything. ##greekmythology ##storytime ##storyofmylife ##harvard ##pjo ##achilles ##lore

♬ Send Me on My Way - Vibe Street

Justus Bennetts (@justusbennetts) 

Bennetts got over 2 million views on one video after posting just a small snippet of new single “Nightstand.” Now, hundreds of other users have been using the song to make their own videos displaying their happy relationships that started from just one night. A few weeks earlier, he also released an amazing single titled “Replace You,” mostly giving a pop-punk sound. Since first discovering this musician, I have been playing both of these songs on repeat, and they should definitely be added to your playlist too. Bennetts music is perfect for blasting in your car on a nice summer day. 

Baby Storme (@babystorme) 

On January 1, she captioned a TikTok “wake me up when my song goes viral,” not knowing her dream would turn to reality. Her single “JACKSON” was used in tons of videos across the platform and ended up at #1 on the app’s featured track list. She has since gone on to release songs “Everybody Knows,” and “POM POM,” establishing an alternative rock/pop mesh of genres. While a ton of major labels contacted her, she ended up still being an independent artist and continues to use TikTok to grow her fanbase. Her new music video shows that she is unique and versatile, standing out from most artists today. 

Nonetheless, I’ve outlined a very small number of the many amazing artists on TikTok I’ve enjoyed as of late. These stories alone make it clear that the app is a game-changer in the music world, and can be for anyone with talent. I encourage you to utilize TikTok to find artists you like, as well as promote your own creative endeavors, no matter what they may be.