IMG_0228.jpg

Opinion: Mo Pop Festival is back from the ashes

Shortly after the announcement of their 2020 lineup, the Mo Pop Festival hosted in Downtown Detroit had to be canceled due to the pandemic. Finally after a two year break, the festival is back and better than ever.

After an untimely hiatus due to the pandemic, the Mo Pop Festival in Detroit came back in fashionable style. Relocating from the Riverfront to the Hart Plaza, the festival hosted a miraculous two-day event. From Big Sean to Glass Animals, here were the highlights of the festival.

Performances

This festival in the past has presented some of the best artists today including Tyler the Creator, Solange, Billie Eilish, and Tame Impala. The 2022 festival headlined none other than Detroit native Big Sean, his partner Jhené Aiko, Glass Animals, Girl in Red, Dominic Fike, and more.

Even the smaller performances from newcomers such as Tiny Jag, Whu Else, and Gabriel Duran all created an immersive environment. The only letdown was the loss of Kaytranada from the lineup, in addition to the occasional audio issues during the Khruangbin and Glass Animals sets.

Haute to Death

The two venues of Eastown and Grand Stage were not the only place to enjoy music that weekend. In the back of the festival near the Detroit River was the DJ event known as Haute to Death which hosted 11 DJs. This was perfectly located for you to get some rest and shade from the steaming sun or just to take the time to dance the day away.

Food

One of the best features of Mo Pop is the assortment of tasty treats and drinks. Some of the best food trucks or spots were Island Noodles, Detroit Cookie Company, and the Crown Royal tent. In addition to all of this, the water refill stations were a lifesaver.

Activities

Plenty of other activities were included in the festival: From the arcade that hosted classic games like Pac-Man and Tetris to the tents where you could buy merch and other interesting items. Then of course other areas like the Third Man Records truck, photo-friendly areas, and more.

Overall, Mo Pop Festival is a great way to spend your summer in Detroit, and I can’t wait to hear about next year's lineup.