73d05cace93ccb8de69605419be7342513-billie-eilish-therefore-i-am.jpg

Review: Billie Eilish releases masterpiece single "Therefore I Am,"

If this track is setting the tone for the young musician's upcoming album, there is astounding potential.

This young pop star is back with another unique single, showcasing even more versatility than ever before. “Therefore I Am,” is an empowering bop from Billie Eilish, and way more upbeat and fun than her last released song, “my future.”

The single and paired music video were released last Thursday, Nov. 12, and is everything fans have been waiting for. 

The sound is unique, displaying different levels of Eilish’s voice and exuding even more talent and growth from both herself and her producer/brother FINNEAS. The authenticity may make this one of my favorite Eilish tracks yet. 

The video begins with Eilish entering an empty mall, specifically Glendale Galleria, and walking through it like she owns the place as she steals food from vendors, and emulates bad bitch energy, like always. 

The visual reached #1 Trending on YouTube in less than a day and gained upwards of 12 million views in the same time frame. 

“I’m not your friend / Or anything, damn / You think that you’re the man / I think, therefore I am.” 

Playing on this philosophical statement creates more interest for listeners of all areas. Eilish goes on to talk about the press and how she wouldn’t want to be associated with the person she is speaking of.

“Articles, articles, articles / Rather you remain unremarkable (Got a lotta) / Interviews, interviews, interviews / When they say your name, I just act confused.”

While it can definitely be super difficult for celebrities to live any part of their lives in private, Eilish likes to be sure people’s image of her isn’t altered negatively. Still, this song was made mostly jokingly.

In an interview with Zane Lowe, Eilish talked about how the video is fun and careless, just as how the song feels to her. “That’s literally it. It’s some random, chaotic, don’t care shit. And it was so fun, we shot it overnight, shot it on an iPhone, we had barely any crew. It was crazy,” she said. 

Eilish said this song is one that truly represents her, fully real and natural. Some lines such as: “Stop, what the hell are you talking about?” is playful and more spoken than sung. 

The way she mixes up her creative process drives truly genius expression and shows her growth since the start of her music career. Eilish also revealed in the interview that this song is indeed a single from an upcoming album.

“I felt very trapped in my own facade, ‘cause I kept feeling like a parody of myself, which was crazy and very weird and hard to maneuver,” Eilish said. The singer/songwriter had to get over a period of feeling as if she was trying to be something rather than just being. Then, she was able to become the playful and open artist we have heard before. 

After hearing this amazing track, I am super excited for Eilish’s next project and you should be too. Her growth and potential feel never-ending and I’m sure her music will only continue to get better and better, hopefully receiving even more recognition in years to come. No matter what genres or artists you normally listen to, you should without a doubt check out this new-age unique song and musician. 

I would give this release 4.5 out of 5 Swoops.