NXT-NEWSQUIZ ABA

Actor Patrick Swayze, 57, dies after battling cancer

Actor Patrick Swayze, best known for his roles in movies like “Ghost” and “Dirty Dancing,” died Monday at 57.

In January 2008 Swayze was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer, the most severe stage. Stage IV meant the cancer had metastasized and was quickly spreading.

Despite this, Swayze continued acting. In the end of 2008 he filmed the first season of an A&E FBI drama “The Beast,” which premiered this year. The show eventually was cancelled this summer when it was determined Swayze would not be able to continue working.

Swayze leaves behind a career that was never conventional.

One of his first roles was the tough older brother in the 1983 adaptation of S.E. Hinton’s “The Outsiders,” which introduced him to audiences as a strong, hunky star in the making. He followed this with the war film “Red Dawn,” which nearly cemented his future as an action hero.

But from there on, Swayze’s career took an unexpected turn. Despite starring in other action films such as “Point Break,” Swayze is best known for his performances in romance movies, including his role as dancing instructor Johnny Castle in the 1987 romance film “Dirty Dancing” and his memorable performance with Demi Moore in 1990’s “Ghost.”

Swayze showed surprising versatility as an actor and quickly became a superstar and international sex symbol. He was also a popular musician and frequently performed in Broadway productions.

One of his most unconventional and memorable performances was as a drag queen alongside Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo in the 1995 comedy “To Wong Foo,” a perfect example of the charm and humor he brought to everyone of his films.

Swayze married Lisa Niemi in 1970. They were together at the time of his death and never had children.