GroupFavorite

Rynearson gets new scoreboard and audio

EMU football gets new scoreboard

It took 40 years, but Rynearson Stadium has a video board to accompany its scoreboard. The Eastern Michigan football stadium got a new scoreboard with LED video screen, along with a new Sportsound 2000 audio system, in time for tonight’s home opener against Army. The new features were installed by Daktronics, Inc., which recently installed scoreboards and video boards for the New York Yankees at the new Yankee Stadium.

“This new scoreboard demonstrates the commitment Eastern Michigan University has for its football program,” Director of Athletics Dr. Derrick Gragg said in a university press release on Aug. 26. “We strive to be the very best we can be, and having a Daktronics scoreboard of this magnitude will provide abundant benefits for our team, recruiting and the overall football game-day experience.”

Mid-American Conference rules mandate that replays on video screens such as EMU’s new one must be limited to one real-time replay per play on the field. All officials’ instant-reviews will still be done off-field.

Motor City Bowl now Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

The annual postseason college bowl game known as the Motor City Bowl has officially become the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, as announced by bowl officials in a release Wednesday.

The Detroit bowl is in its 13th season and will still feature the MAC Champion against a bowl-eligible Big Ten team. It will take place at 1 p.m. Dec. 26 at Ford Field. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN.

“I’m a life-long sports fan,” said Michael Ilitch, co-founder and chairman, Little Caesar Enterprises, Inc. “This bowl is a great opportunity to provide a fun experience for families and college football fans, while supporting college athletics.”

The name change is a result of General Motors Co. and Chrysler LLC ended their sponsorship with the game. The automakers both filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

For additional information, go to LittleCaesarsPizzaBowl.com.