EMU student's claim of sexual assault false

A report by an Eastern Michigan University student of sexual assault near campus Monday was found to be false, according to the Ypsilanti Police Department.

Ypsilanti police received the call at 8:30 a.m. on Monday about an alleged sexual assault near LeForge Road, north of the university. When police found the individual, she was covered in injuries and needed medical attention. After further questioning, the student recanted her claim of sexual assault. The entire incident unfolded within a few hours.

Lieutenant Amy Walker of the Ypsilanti Police Department said the injuries of the individual were not due to an assault but by the individual’s own actions. The student was involved in an argument with a person in the area. In an attempt to get in touch with the person, she sustained the injuries herself.

“Her injuries were unfortunately caused by her own doing,” Walker said.

Walker said the police go into every investigation wholeheartedly to find out what happened and take sexual assault very seriously.

The Ypsilanti police will continue their investigation of the incident and have not said if they will press charges against the individual.

“Our officers have training to specifically deal with victims of sexual assault,” said Chief Greg O’Dell of Eastern’s Department of Public Safety.

Though this incident turned out to be false, O’Dell urges all students to use common sense when they are walking on or near campus. Students should have an awareness of their surroundings, try not to walk alone and utilize SEEUS when possible.