EMU Theatre's season starts with comedy musical

This Friday, the first big musical of the year opens on campus.

“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” is a comedy directed by Pirooz Aghssa. “Forum” is going to be even more interesting for the fact that split appointment dance and theater instructor Phil Simmons will be a part of the production.

“Forum” is one of the products the audience gets to enjoy when two faculty members collaborate. Aghssa and Simmons were having a chat about the upcoming theater year and Simmons commented, “Wouldn’t it be funny if … and you should do ‘Forum.’ ” Aghssa took Simmons comment to heart and this Friday will be the unveiling of their efforts.

“Phil is such a good friend. When he asks me to do something I do it,” Aghssa said.

“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” was a traveling Broadway group between 2000 and 2001. Simmons was apart of this tour as the excitable character Hysterium, who he will be once again playing. Hysterium, as Simmons described him, is a “Nervous Nelly” and the character’s names tell you about their personalities.

Though this is Simmons’ second production of this show, it is by no means the same piece. This production will be taking place in 1960s Las Vegas instead of ancient Rome. According to Aghssa he chose this location because he not only wanted to give it a different look but because Las Vegas has that fake and hokey look; all glitz and glamour and no substance.

“It translates 100 percent without changing the words. It is just as funny as the original script is!” Simmons said.

Another main change Aghssa makes is to add an audition process to the first act. He wants the audience to be able to see how the characters relate to the characters they are playing. An example of this is the feminist woman who is playing the dumb woman who only has her beauty. You get to “hear” how the actor feels about this part and the script itself.

This play is going to be pushing for a brand new interpretation of an old classic script. “Forum” is a farce and is fast paced and very specific. Because of it being a new interpretation, it is going to have lot of scenes that will make the audience stop and think.

“I don’t have a favorite scene, I enjoy what each actor brings to the table,” said Aghssa. “That a show that is so fixed can be a work of art that can be interpreted into many different ways.”

Theatre arts major Eric Hohnke, who plays Senex, enjoyed how “the cast is constantly changing between real actors and their characters.”
Simmons describes “Forum” as an outrageous comedy that will keep you rolling and explained actors had a lot of free choice with character development. Aghssa is described as a very comfortable, trial-and-error type of director who is known for saying ‘come play.’

As Aghssa talks about rehearsal he makes it clear “the actor makes the choice, I just edit.”

“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” opens at Quirk Theater this Friday and Saturday and continues next week, Oct. 29 – Oct. 31. All shows are at 7 p.m., with an early matinee on Oct. 25 at 3 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the EMU Box Office in the Student Center, and the EMU Theater Box Office in Quirk. Student tickets are $12.