Macpodz

Ann Arbor band The Macpodz prepares for show

They’ve played on the same bill as Willie Nelson, Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, Bob Dylan and The Black Crowes. They have the cartoonist from Aqua Teen Hunger Force making posters for them. And this Friday the Ann Arbor band The Macpodz will be returning to The Blind Pig.

The Macpodz, consisting of Ross Huff, Brennan Andes, Griffin Bastian, Jesse Clayton and Nick Ayers, play a great variety of funk, soul, rock and jazz, keeping their audience happy regardless of musical taste. This band really is something for everyone.

“Our bass player, Brennan, used to pick random people to play at house parties,” said percussionist Griffin Bastian. “We all got together one night and there was this amazing chemistry.”

The Macpodz released their debut album “Genius Food for Super Heroes” on Jan. 2, 2007 and “Orcastrate” on March 1, 2008. Their latest album, “Live At The Ark,” was released in June of 2009.

Having played such festivals over the summer as Ten Thousand Lakes, Mountain Jam, Comerica’s Jazz Fest, Blissfest and Rothbury, The Macpodz have been able to get the exposure they need to create a following in Michigan.

“Rothbury was the icing on the cake for us,” band manager Matthew Altruda said. “If you’re a Michigan band, Rothbury is pretty much as good as it gets.”

The band recently went on a tour of the East Coast and the Midwest, and they were able to play shows for a variety of fans.

“There’s always a new crowd at our shows,” keyboard player Jesse Clayton said. “We have a great grassroots fan base.”

Their new CD “Live from the Ark” is in record stores around Ann Arbor. The Macpodz are currently working on a new album set to be released in 2010.

Their music is also available on iTunes and at www.archives.org, where music from more than 40 live shows can be downloaded.

The new CD has gotten great reviews from Relic magazine.

“Our songs never really finish being written,” Altruda said. “They’re always changing and evolving.”

WEMU, 107.1 FM, Sirius radio and stations in the Grand Rapids and Traverse City areas have featured The Macpodz on numerous occasions.

The band’s upcoming show at The Blind Pig is scheduled for this Friday. The doors open at 9:30, and the cover is $10 at the door or $8 pre-sale. The Brew, a band from Boston, will be opening. Music lovers 18 and up are welcome.