Peninsular Place armed robbery suspect arrested

A suspect in an armed robbery at Peninsular Place has been arrested, according to Ypsilanti Police Department. The 23-year-old Detroit man was picked up Tuesday night outside the city in Ypsilanti township.

It is most likely the suspect was charged and arraigned Wednesday, according to Sergeant Thomas Eberts of the Ypsilanti Police.

The original incident occurred at 2:55 p.m. Monday. The victims, two sisters who are not Eastern Michigan University students, reported they heard a knock at their door, and, upon opening the door, two suspects forced entry into their apartment and threatened the victims with a handgun. The victims were not injured.

After investigating, the police found the victims recognized one of the suspects.

“One victim knew the suspect,” Eberts said, explaining that after she opened the door, the victim noticed a second unknown individual. “Once inside, the known suspect produced a gun and robbed the sisters.”

The suspects stole several items, including a laptop, television, wallet and a ring. The police have not recovered any of the stolen property.

As for the suspect in police custody, he will most likely be charged with armed robbery but not home invasion.

“If she allowed him into the apartment, it would not be home invasion,” Eberts said. He explained home invasion can only be charged when a suspect entered a building by force or without permission.
The Ypsilanti Police say they are still searching for the second suspect and will continue their investigation.

The original descriptions of the suspects are two African American males between the ages of 19-20.

One suspect was about 6’ in height, 180 pounds and was last seen wearing a brown jacket, blue jeans and yellow gloves. The second suspect was about 5’10” to 6’ in height, 150 pounds and was last seen wearing a white shirt, blue jeans and yellow gloves.