Eastern Michigan’s Owen Grey (right) swims in the 200-yard butterfly Saturday. He won the event with a time of 1:55.59. EMU won the meet against Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Freshmen shine in swim openers

Whistles blew and swimmers finally stretched their fins – or arms and legs – for competition over the weekend at Eastern Michigan’s Jones Natatorium. It was the first collegiate meet for some.

Smells of chlorine and lots of yelling woke the crowd during the four-hour meet on Halloween Saturday. It was a good start for the EMU men’s team, as it defeated Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 74-57, with swims from new faces.

Saturday marked the second meet for the EMU women’s team. It defeated Bowling Green 154-119 on Friday. EMU split on Saturday by defeating Wisconsin-Milwaukee 41 ½-7 but losing 82 ½-41 ½ to Toledo.

“We swam well. We have some areas where we need to improve in,” said Peter Linn, who coaches the EMU men’s and women’s teams. “It was good to see Toledo and their swimmers (Saturday).

“We just need to keep improving up until conference standings take into place, and hopefully we can start swimming well at the right time of year. First meet, it’s good to get our team out in the pool on a competing level.”

Young faces, like freshmen Jeffrey Craig and Andrew Saunders, were the talk of the pool. Craig placed first in the 3-meter dive and second in the 1-meter, while Saunders was first in the 1-meter and second in the 3-meter.

EMU freshmen Tyler Capen and Jacob Hanson were part of the 400-yard-medley-relay team that had the fastest time (3:28.87). Senior Scott Murphy and sophomore Matt Zavislak were also part of the relay.

Murphy was first in the 100 breaststroke (58.01), Capen won the 200 backstroke (1:53.86) and Zavislak was the fastest in the 100 free (46.98) and 50 free (21.68).

“It’s the first meet, and we are all tired and beat,” freshman Robert Nichols said.

Freshman Briana Emig held her own for the women’s team. She won the 500 free (4:56.52) and placed second in the 1,650 free (17:04.66) and 200 free (1:53.23).

Junior Sarah Kowalski was first in the 100 free (51.87), and sophomore Sarah Maraskine was first in the 100 backstroke (58.12). Junior diver Lesley Vizurraga placed first in the 1-meter and second in the 3-meter.

“I think the bright side of the meet was our girls in the 100 freestyle, the 200 breast stroke,” Linn said. “We had good swims from Briana [Emig] and the two Sarah’s — Sarah Kowalski and Sarah Maraskine.”

The EMU teams travel to play Mid-American Conference opponent Buffalo at 5 p.m. Friday.