Stiffarming tailback DaJuane Collins gains some of his 144 rushing yards in Toledo’s 47-21 win over EMU on Friday. Teammate Morgan Williams rushed for 155.

Losing streak hits 11

TOLEDO, Ohio – Freshman quarterback Alex Gillett tried to put an end to Eastern Michigan University’s losing streak, but his best efforts weren’t enough.

EMU (0-11, 0-7 Mid-American Conference) lost again Friday night against Toledo, 47-21.

Gillett led the team in every offensive category, save receiving. He accounted for 273 yards total
offense, including two touchdowns and four turnovers.

It was the second consecutive game Gillett, who wasn’t available to the media, had at least four turnovers. He had five last week in his first start.

“He makes some plays, but the problem with Alex is he turns the ball over,” coach Ron English said. “You cannot win turning the ball over.”

The defense struggled stopping the run game once again. Morgan Williams rushed for 155 yards and a touchdown, DaJuane Collins had 144 yards and two scores and quarterback David Pasquale scored on a couple rushes for Toledo (5-6, 3-4).

“Our offensive line did a great job opening up holes for us, and our receivers did a great job blocking downfield,” Collins said at the postgame news conference. “We made a point to establish the run and stuck with it the whole game.”

EMU’s defense couldn’t get off the field on third down. It forced plenty of long third-down tries but couldn’t come up with a stop. UT was 9-of-15 on third downs.

“The last couple of weeks our defense has had chances to get off the field on third down, and we’ve not done it,” English said. “As a result of that, we are giving up points that we have no business giving up.”

One consistent on the defense has been the ball hawking of safety Chris May. He intercepted Aaron Opelt on the EMU 1-yard line in the second quarter.

It was May’s sixth interception, which is good for a six-way tie for fourth in the FBS. He’s tied with Kent State’s Brian Lainhart for first in the MAC.

The Eagles have their last chance at a win at 2 p.m. Friday when they play at Akron (2-9, 1-6).
With New Mexico (1-10) winning Saturday, Western Kentucky (0-10) and EMU are the last two teams without a win.

“None of us want to go down in infamy as a winless team,” English said.