Notebook: 2 linemen join list of injured

TOLEDO, Ohio – Defensive end Brad Ohrman and offensive lineman Andy Fretz left Friday’s 47-21 loss to Toledo because of undisclosed injuries.

Coach Ron English said he didn’t know the extent of their injuries following the game.

They are the latest in a long line of Eagles to go down, including cornerback Johhny Sears who didn’t play for the second consecutive game (hamstring).

May climbing the charts
Safety Chris May made his sixth interception Friday and is tied for fourth in the FBS with six others in the category.

UCLA’s Rahim Moore leads the country with nine. May and Kent State’s Brian Lainhart are tied for first in the Mid-American Conference.

May, who’s had extended playing time since Ryan Downard broke his arm before the fourth game, led the team with 11 tackles Friday.

Freshmen make impact
Many freshmen played well Friday, led by quarterback Alex Gillett and receiver Kinsman Thomas.

The two connected for a passing touchdown. Thomas had three receptions for 61 yards and a score. Gillett accounted for 273 yards total offense. He had two touchdowns passing but four turnovers.

“He makes some plays, but the problem with Alex is he turns the ball over,” English said.
Lineman Devon Davis had six tackles (1 ½ for a loss).

More on last game
EMU has completed a winless season before (0-11 in 1981). It’s done so three times but has never lost 12.

“None of us want to go down in infamy as a winless team,” English said. “We’ve been motivated, that’s not the real issue. We try hard.”

… Akron is 2-9 (1-6). It’s defeated Kent State and Morgan State (FCS) but has lost two straight.

… Friday’s game will be the last in the inaugural season of Summa Field-InfoCision Stadium.

Quotable
“I got too much pride to come out here and not keep playing just cause we’re 0-11,” said senior-captain lineman Brandon Downs, who had three tackles for a loss and a sack Friday.