Roundup: Eastern Michigan men's basketball survives Oakland

Brandon Bowdry led all scorers Saturday to help Eastern Michigan University to an 81-77 win over Oakland in Rochester in the season opener for both teams.

Bowdry matched a career high with 26 points, which he had against Marygrove College in last season’s opener, and had 13 rebounds. Carlos Medlock, who missed last season because of a broken foot, scored 14.

EMU led by as much as 14, but Johnathon Jones’ 3-pointer cut it to two with 44 seconds remaining. On two separate occasions in the last 16 seconds, OU missed shots that would’ve tied the score.

Jones led OU with 23 points, and Keith Benson had 15 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocks.

Big second half lifts women’s team
After trailing by one at halftime, EMU responded in the second for a 61-49 road win over Illinois-Chicago on Friday in the season opener for both teams.

EMU shot 48 percent in the second half and held UIC to 28 percent. The Eagles made 7-of-12 3-pointers and were led by Chenise Miller’s 14 points. Cassie Schrock had eight assists.

The Eagles host Marygrove at 7 tonight at the Convocation Center.

Purdue sweeps EMU out of pool
The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were outmatched Friday and Saturday at Jones Natatorium.

Purdue won the men’s, 190-124, and the women’s, 223-100, dual meets. The EMU men are 2-1, and the women are 3-3.

Jacob Hanson won the 100-yard backstroke (50.70) and 400 IM (4:01.42). Leeza Moser won the 400 IM (4:31.96) and was second in the 200 backstroke (2:09).

3 Eagles run to all-region honors
Courtney Calka, Curtis Vollmar and Terefe Ejigu placed in the top 25 on Saturday at the Great Lakes cross-country regional in Bloomington, Ind.

Their finishes earned them all-region honors. Calka was 17th (21:33.08), Vollmar 17th (31:28.51) and Ejigu 25th (31:49.98).

The men’s team placed ninth with 232 points. Wisconsin (62) dominated to win the team title. The women’s team (382) was 16th, and Notre Dame (94) won.

“I am pleased that the team took a huge step forward this season, and we hope to use that momentum to make another big jump next fall,” women’s coach Sue Parks said in a release.

Compiled by sports editor Justin Souva.