Women's Resource Center helps shatter the glass ceiling

On Tuesday night, the Women’s Resource Center and the Applied Sociology Program at Eastern Michigan University will be sponsoring a discussion by Shannon Garret, the Great Lakes Regional director for the White House Project.

The discussion is this Tuesday, Dec. 1 at 5 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium.

The White House Project is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping women around the country develop their skills and take on leadership roles in their communities, the government and the professional world, including eventually the highest office in the nation.

“The White House Project is an amazing group,” said Jessica Klein, program director at EMU’s Women’s Resource Center. “They are located in New York and they are all about teaching women how to be leaders in this country: how they can rise to the top, enhancing leadership skills – and this is not only to start their own businesses, but hopefully one day take that to the White House.”

The group is very active throughout the country and frequently sponsors discussions, workshops and leadership retreats for women who are inspired to strive for positions of power.

Klein said the discussion will be a great opportunity for both men and women at EMU to get inspired to change both themselves and the world.

“I feel that college is so much more than going to a classroom and getting an education,” said Klein. “I think with education comes so many other things: getting involved, being passionate about something, whatever that may be …

“I think this [event] is really important for women to realize that they can be so much more. They can find their place in society, find something they’re really passionate in and really pursue that in whatever way they want. But it’s also important for men to come to because they need to realize that we need them as our allies.”

For more information about the White House Project visit www.thewhitehouseproject.org.