'Jersey' latest example of stupidity run amok

I thought we had seen the worst MTV had to offer. The Real World and Road Rules had turned into softcore porn and I thought the mindless drones who watched it would eventually get bored with it. I thought the absurdity of watching rich, spoiled humans with toilets for souls would wear people out, and they’d seek out new things to do with their lives.

I was wrong, so wrong.

The problem is the mindless zombies that flocked to watch MTV’s “reality” programming actually did get bored. And that is a problem for MTV. So what did they do? They tapped into the worst society has to offer. The dumbest, most mindless people in the United States were assembled to make sure ad revenue stays healthy on MTV.

I know college-aged students love reality TV. As a matter of fact,h I don’t think MTV has any other purpose anymore but to provide mind-numbing reality TV to its dumbed-down masses. Is this really what we want to do with our free time? Would we really rather watch these programs that offer nothing in the way of value instead of expanding our minds?

Yes, yes we would.

The obesity rate is up, our test scores are down, and nobody really cares too much. I mean if we did care about the quality of our society, then next week “Jersey Shore” would be cancelled due to lack of
interest, right?

That won’t happen. I can envision a scenario where the worst show of all time gets three or four more seasons before the morons on the cast get their own spin-offs. Yes, that is what we need, more narcissistic people with reality shows about their attempts to launch their film and/or music careers.

How are we not tired of this yet? I know things happen in fads and eventually popular crazes mercifully die out. But I don’t see any signs of this trend dying out anytime soon. I see a society where ignorance is not only bliss, but it is celebrated and rewarded.

I am not a fool. I know the only reason that MTV keeps churning out these deplorable shows is because the 18-year old crowd eats it up. Are we ok with that?

We live in a world where our youth are at risk for many things. Being the dumbest generation is one of the most alarming possibilities our youth face. But they would not know this if it smacked them in the mouth.

The older generation just assumes that because the kids can use a computer and upload their user content that all is well. All is not well. We have been dumbing down society for a long time now. Who needs to know about history right? That stuff will never happen again!

We accept test scores are lower than ever before, and we accept we will waste our time with mindless crap.

I just wish they’d bring back Beavis and Butthead — at least they knew they were stupid.