Writer questions views of nature with poetry, art

On Tuesday, the English and Art departments assembled a show of visual artist and writer Yedda Morrison’s work at the Student Center as part of the Bath House Reading Series.

“Yedda Morrison is a compelling visual artist and poet who challenges the way we think about the natural environment as it is represented in visual art and poetry,” said English Language and Literature faculty member Carla Harryman.

The opening of the reading started with a few kind and grateful words from Harryman. It began a bit like an old school poetry reading. As Morrison took the stage, the lights dimmed and on popped a spot light – a poetry slam in all regards, minus the snapping fingers.

Readings included multiple pieces from her collection “Girl Scout Nation.” At one point during the reading, Morrison pulled out what looked like a cross between a bee hat and hairnet, and pulled it over her face, then continued reading.

The art shown during its portion of the evening was beautiful, though not what most people expected to see. The majority of the slides were of imitation flower arrangements – Morrison’s purpose in these images is to underscore the meaningful difference between the artificial and natural.

“I’m interested in what is ‘natural’ and what isn’t,” Morrison said.

At the end, excerpts from her new book “Darkness” were read aloud by four previously chosen audience members. It was the first time this piece had ever been read before an audience, and Morrison wanted to see how it sounded with four voices instead of one.

Morrison, a native of San Francisco, now lives in Montreal and is well known for her book “Girl Scout Nation.”

She has been a professional artist for 15 years. Her work, drawing on social and political themes, encourages the viewer to critically examine the world around him or her and the events taking place within it. The discussion packed the auditorium, captivating the audience for 90 minutes.

For any questions regarding Morrison, she encourages all to visit her Web site www.yeddamorrison.com.