IP3 seminar to address information security

Today is the first day of the two-day ‘Strategy to Reality’ network security seminar being hosted by IP3, a company devoted to technology security, in Sill Hall. Eastern Michigan University’s Center for Information Assurance has been in partnership with IP3 since 2005.

The seminar will discuss the emergence and growth of the Information Technology Security industry.

“There are over 100,000 job openings,” Professor Gerald “Skip” Lawver said. “100 percent employment for students that graduate from the program [CeRNS].”

CeRNS, the Center for Regional and National Security, has three platformzs, including Information Assurance. IA has been awarded the “Center of Excellence” designation by the National Security Agency. Only two other Michigan universities, Walsh and Detroit-Mercy, provide an NSA approved Information Assurance program.

“Students want to attend a university with an accredited program,” Lawver said.

EMU is the only university in Michigan to hold the IP3 seminar. IP3 reserves a few free seats for EMU students enrolled in the IA program, which would normally cost between $600 and $700.

IP3 Office Administrator Judy Morrison said, “IP3 partners with leading universities that provide Academic Excellence and Information Assurance education.”

IP3 Inc. provides exclusive coverage of emerging technology for information assurance and IT technology. Attended by more than 6,000 security professionals, ‘Strategy to Reality,’ addresses significant security issues established by security agencies including, the Department of Homeland Security and NSA.

Morrison credits Lawver with making the partnership possible.

“Skip worked extremely hard to get EMU designated an NSA Center,” Morrison said.

Lawver had to map out all of the program’s course work, writing 32 pages in accordance with NSA guidelines. This led to EMU being chosen to hold the IP3 conference, and in turn recruiting students.

“The conference is a marketing tool for the EMU Assurance program,” Lawver said. “Used as a recruiting to tool for undergrad and graduate students.”

The seminar brings CEOs, executives, managers and IT professionals from businesses around Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. Students thus have the opportunity to network with these individuals, and potentially arrange for internships.

Ken Kousky, IP3’s CEO said, “Eastern Michigan University is committed to bringing vital educational programs to the local market, and our IT security seminar perfectly complements their commitment.”
Graduates of the Information Assurance program are qualified for a variety of IT and network security careers.

Lawver said, “Students can work in the NSA, embassies around the world, crime investigating, and private sector.”