Roundup: Wheatley heading to Syracuse

Tyrone Wheatley has joined Syracuse’s football team as the running backs coach. He will join coach Doug Marrone’s staff after leaving Eastern Michigan University, where he held the same position for Ron English last season.

Wheatley takes over for Roger Harriott, who decided to return to his job at a Florida prep school.

Wheatley, a former University of Michigan star and NFL 10-year veteran was the football and boys track coach at Dearborn Heights Robichaud High School in 2006 and 2007.

Men’s Basketball

Quintin Dailey, a guard on the basketball team, was suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, coach Charles Ramsey announced Monday.

Dailey was averaging 3.9 points and 2.0 rebounds this season, his first with the team after transferring from Sheridan (Wyo) Community College.

Carlos Medlock earned his second Mid-American Conference player of the week award this season after helping the basketball team go 2-1.

In wins over Akron and Ohio, and a loss to Kent State, the senior guard averaged 21.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, 4.7 assists and a 1.7 steals. Medlock’s five 3-pointers against Ohio moved into third overall on the EMU career for threes.

He now has 188 in his career, besting current EMU assistant Carl Thomas’ 185 (1987-91).