wrestling

Roundup: Wrestling tumbles against Ohio

The Eastern Michigan University wrestling team ended its regular season Saturday, losing to Ohio University 26-13 at the Convocation Center.

It was senior day for the Eagles, and Chris Jenkins ended his senior regular season with a win over Michael Fennell, 13-2, at 133 pounds.

Other wins for EMU came from freshman Alex Ortman at 165 and true freshman Phillip Joseph at 184.

The Eagles end the regular with a 10-12-1 overall record, while going 0-5 in the Mid-American Conference.

Up next for EMU is the MAC Championship. The contest will take place at Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant, March 6 and 7.

Women’s basketball drops historic double OT game against Central
The EMU women’s basketball team headed to Mount Pleasant this weekend and lost to Central Michigan University 113-107 in double overtime but picked up some records in the process.

The Eagles and Chippewas combined for 220 points, a mark that breaks the MAC record for the most combined points in a conference game. The previous record of 214 was set in a game between Kent State and Bowling Green in 1991.

Sydney Huntley also made the record books for EMU. The junior guard scored 36 points, good for the most ever by an Eagle off the bench in a single game and third for the most all-time. She also made a record-tying eight 3-pointers.

The Eagles return to the Convocation Center on Wednesday to take on Western Michigan University. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. *
Individuals strong for men’s and women’s track and field *
The men’s and women’s track teams traveled up the road to Ann Arbor on Saturday to compete in the Silverston Invitational.

Picking up individual victories for the men was Vaneir Joseph in the 60-meter high hurdles, Andrew Pfeifferin the mile, Austin Hendrix in the 800 and Blake Figgins in the 600. The 4×400 relay team also won.

For the women, Rosie White won the long jump and Asia Rawls was first in the 400.
Up next for the track and field squads is the MAC Championship taking place at Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant. Action starts Friday.

Women’s tennis can’t get past Nebraska
The Eagles’ women’s tennis team couldn’t win a match on Saturday, losing to Nebraska, 7-0, in Lincoln.

The only member of the EMU (3-4) squad to win a set was Marcela Rivero in her match against Janine Weinreich.

“Nebraska (9-0) is a great team,” EMU coach Ryan Ray said in a release. “We needed a better performance to play with them today, and we just didn’t get it. Hopefully we are healthier next week and can get in a solid week of practice before going to California.”

The team will head to California the first week of March to take on San Diego State, Long Beach State and Loyola Marymount.