Kamil Janton

Polish center aims for bigger role

Kamil Janton is a sophomore center for Eastern Michigan University’s basketball team.

Born in Poland, Janton lived for seven years in Chicago, where he played basketball for Bartlett High School under coach Jim Wolfsmith.

Janton left a legacy at Bartlett for being the best rebounder and shot blocker in school’s history, and led his team to its best record.

As a high school senior, Janton averaged a double-double with 16 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks per game.

He played in the Chicago High School All-Star Game, was named first-team all-tournament at the Jacobs Holiday Classic and made the Daily Herald All-Area team twice.

“There is a huge difference in college ball,” Janton said. “It is more physical and much faster, (but) AAU ball helped a lot.”

Janton said he played Amateur Athletic Union basketball against Ohio State star Evan Turner during the summers.

Janton, as a freshman, played 16 games for EMU coach Charles E. Ramsey. He also competed for the under-20 Polish National Team that placed third overall at the International Basketball Federation European Under-20 Division B Championship.

EMU’s basketball season ended with a loss in the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference tournament to Akron.

“It was a heartbreaker, but that’s the beauty of the tournament,” Janton said. “I mean we still battled and we played our game. It just wasn’t meant to be.”

The Eagles finished 17-15 and second in the West division of the MAC with an 8-8 record.
“Our goals didn’t go as planned, but we did have a good season,” Janton said.

Janton, a political science major, is looking forward to improving his game and his team’s record next season.

“I expect to start and have a big role on the team,” Janton said. “I want to go out there and do what’s best for the team.”

Janton is heading into his third season under Ramsey. Janton said he enjoys playing for Ramsey and looks forward to another season with him.

“He is passionate about winning, and us getting what we deserve,” Janton said of Ramsey. “He protects us on the court.”

Janton made his predictions for the NCAA Final Four: “Butler is my pick, but I think Duke is going to win it all.”