Roundup: Baseball rally pays off

The Eastern Michigan University baseball wrapped up a three-game set with Northern Illinois University, scoring eight runs in the ninth inning en route to a 13-11 victory on Sunday.

It was all NIU early on as it roughed up Collin Taylor in the first, scoring three runs and forcing Taylor (2/3 innings, three earned runs) to an early exit.

Northern Illinois would score two more runs in the second and third and two more in the sixth to take a 7-0 lead.

But, the next three innings were all EMU.

After two quick outs, Bo Kinder hit a triple. Zach Leonard then singled to left to drive him home. Todd Graves followed that up with a single and then with two men on, Andrew Marshall hit a home run to drive in three.

NIU would score another run in the seventh, but EMU (24-24, 13-8 Mid-American Conference) responded in the eighth with a run of its own on a single from Kinder to make it 8-5 NIU heading into the ninth.

Graves started the inning with a double then advanced to third on a passed ball. Marshall walked and Brent Ohrman followed him, reaching on an error that advanced Marshall. After Ken Battiston struck out, Aaron Crooks singled to left to drive in Graves. Then with three men on Daniel Russell hit a pinch base-clearing double, giving EMU a 9-8 advantage. Kinder would single in Russell, with Leonard following with an RBI single. Marshall then made his second appearance of the inning count with a two-run single, ending the scoring for EMU in the inning (eight runs, six hits).

NIU (19-27, 9-12) would try to counter in the ninth, scoring three runs, but couldn’t quite make up ground as Taylor Dimmerling picked up his second save, getting Alex Beckmann to strike out looking to end the game.

Eastern won two of three over the weekend against Northern Illinois and will play Oakland University (17-28) Wednesday at Oestrike Stadium. First pitch is at 6:05 p.m.

David Brent takes weekly track award
David Brent was named the Mid-American Conference Men’s Track Athlete of the Week this past Thursday.

Brent was given the award after running an 8:50.04 in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, good for second, at the 25th annual Jesse Owens Track Classic at Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio.

Brent’s mark is good for the 14th-fastest regional time, and the 29th-fastest in the nation this year.