Avoid the freshman 15 with good diet, exercise

On top of the new-found stresses freshmen get when entering college, one of the biggest might be the freshman 15.

Many students are afraid of gaining weight after starting college. However, there is a way to make this phenomenon a myth without spending too much time or money.

Eastern Michigan University offers many opportunities to stay healthy all year and avoid gaining weight.

Everyone has his or her own way of staying in shape. EMU student Jen Yetter has taken measures to avoid the freshman 15 by visiting the REC/IM Center and eating healthy options in dining halls such as wraps, salads and sandwiches from the Marketplace center near the Towers.

The REC/IM Center is full of opportunities to stay fit, with little or no cost to students. Whether a student is interested in cardio, weights, sports or just walking, all of this and more is available to students and all one needs is a valid EMU I.D.

Eastern also has athletic courts outside for those who want to enjoy fresh air. If someone is doubtful of being able to stay fit alone, the new REC/IM fitness program is an option.

The program is designed for people who want to stay fit for the purpose of losing weight. The REC/IM has partnered with B Young—B Fit to offer help from actual BYBF fitness professionals. To participate, students must have a fitness membership.

Food is also a big determining factor in the freshman 15 myth. College food has always had the reputation of being less tasty and less healthy than food from home, but there are healthy options available, and some are even in places that don’t seem healthy.

Former Eastern Eateries employee Alden Steenhoven said there are more than enough places on campus with healthy foods.

“The Eastern Eateries, which is known for its food being ‘Fresh, not Fast,’ has a large salad bar right in the middle of the food court,” he said. “You can choose to get a large or small salad with dozens of choices.

“Wrap It Up, which is the submarine shop within the Eastern Eateries, offers many healthy choices with an easy way to fill up. Serving subs and wraps coming in white, wheat, spinach and sometimes tomato, there are a variety of meats and vegetables to meet normal and vegans’ needs.”