Paul Balcom, co-owner of The Rocket, stands behind the counter in his store on W. Michigan Avenue, which sells T-shirts, coffee mugs and post cards, many of which are focused on Ypsilanti.

EMU graduates discuss shop specializing in novelty items

The Rocket is a unique novelty, gift, humor and candy store in downtown Ypsilanti, at 103 W. Michigan Ave. The Rocket has been turning heads since it was opened in November 2006 by co-owners Paul Balcom and Eli Morrissey. Both men graduated from EMU and are pursuing Master’s Degrees.

“The inspiration for opening The Rocket was really idealistic,” Morrissey said. “We lived in a city with an ailing downtown that had tons of potential. As Ypsilanti homeowners, we knew that Ypsilanti’s well-being depended on the health of its downtown. So we wanted to contribute in the rebuilding of Ypsilanti’s economy.”
Or, in Balcom’s words, Ypsilanti really just needed a “fun store” in the downtown area. If visitors’ expressions are any gauge, The Rocket certainly is an exciting store.

It features many licensed products, ranging from Elvis to Star Wars, to vintage cartoon and comic book collectibles. In addition, the store offers a wide range of original merchandise like T-shirts, coffee mugs and post cards, many of which focus on Ypsilanti lore, tradition and pride.

“I really like to come here for gifts for family and friends,” said Ypsilanti resident Paula Cripps, 32, while glancing down at said items in her hands. “Where else can you buy an ‘Understand Your Mother Instantly’ spray, a ‘Saving for Jesus’ savings bank, and a hamburger kitchen timer in one place? This place is awesome.”

While the store does offer a variety of items for both younger and older generations, the business does provide some minor difficulties for the owners. Both owners say they work harder now than they ever did when they were employed by someone else. Morrissey works full-time outside of the store with the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as a Geographic Specialist, and Balcom claims to work anywhere from 60-100 hours a week.

Also, the store, particularly the back room, feels a bit cramped. While Balcom and Morrissey have been extremely successful at arranging their merchandise so it does not resemble a messy garage sale, they clearly need and want more room. This may be what has lead to some reports that the owners were looking to move their store. Balcom was quick to squash the rumor they wanted to move to Depot Town and away from the downtown area.

“We are really tight in our location and we ideally would like more space, so it’s not out of the question for us to move,” he said. “We’ve looked around, but nothing is set in stone and we haven’t signed any paperwork. We do know that if we did move, it would be into another downtown location, because we really want to do our part to help the downtown area become a strong shopping district.”

For the near future, Balcom and Morrissey have been focusing on selling their back-to-school merchandise and preparing for their four-year anniversary in November. In the meantime, they are happy right where they are in the heart of Ypsilanti, helping their customers find the perfect gifts for friends, family and themselves.

“The Rocket is just a bright, fun and humorous candy and novelty store playing on the satires of everyday American life,” Morrisey says. “There’s something for everyone in this store. If you like serious, we have a functional section of goods and collectables. If you’re a wise-crack, we have gags, jokes, and kitschy items; if you love chocolate and Gummy bears, we have a candy section. The list goes on.”

For more information, or to shop online, visit www.TheRocketYpsi.com, call the store at (734) 483-2291 or find the store on Facebook.