New women's group focuses on charity

Strengthening ties between women and Eastern Michigan University as well as educating women about the power of personal and collective philanthropy are two key components that encompass a newly created EMU organization.
Women in Philanthropy at EMU is a group made of faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the university who are dedicated to raising money and distributing resources among the campus community.

Dr. Jaclynn Tracy, professor and department head of the leadership and counseling program, also serves as the co-president of the group.

Tracy said the organization began in 2008.

“The leadership at our EMU Foundation saw how women in philanthropy groups around the country began to evolve,” she said. “They invited about thirty women to a meeting in 2008 to get things started here.”

Dr. Linda Pritchard, department head and professor of history and women’s and gender studies, is also a member. In the group, Pritchard is the co-chair of the grants subcommittee and a member of the executive committee.

“The group was started by EMU women – faculty and former faculty and staff who wanted to pool additional financial resources – in order to give directly to meaningful projects at EMU,” Pritchard said.

Karen Paciorek, chair of the outreach committee, joined because she’s passionate about EMU and the work her organization is able to do.

The group is based on a giving circle model and each member is asked to make a gift of $1,000 every year for a minimum of three years or $3,000 in total.

In return, all members can be involved in choosing the project to fund. Currently, the group has about 35 members.

Donna Schmitt-Oliver, an emeritus professor, also serves as co-president of the group. She said membership in the group has provided her with a wealth of opportunities.

“…An opportunity for me to be involved in giving back to the university, but also an opportunity for my professional development,” Oliver said.

Pritchard joined because of the impact she is able to make.

“I am able to make a direct and positive impact on EMU by working with others to promote worthwhile projects which advance the university,” she said.

Tracy said the group is needed because of the opportunities it brings to various individuals around campus.

“Anytime we can form coalitions to bring additional materials and resources, it is needed,” she said.

The organization has made a large accomplishment thus far.

“At this point, we’re garnered resources to contribute $100,000 to our upstart,” Tracy said.

The group’s ultimate goal is to garner as many resources and money as possible to support research. Currently, it is working on a project that would give $40,000 in grants for research to faculty, students and maybe alumni.

The group is currently seeking applications for grants up to $5,000 for projects that support the mission and vision of EMU. Projects should seek to improve the EMU climate through collaborative efforts and be innovative.

EMU faculty, staff, faculty sponsored students and university registered student organizations are eligible to apply for an award. Applications will be accepted until Oct. 15 and awards will be announced toward the end of November.

For information on the grants or the group, contact the EMU Foundation at 734.481.2323.