EMU study abroad

French protests are national holiday, custom

Study-abroad experience

A study abroad experience is much more than simply studying a new language or attending classes at a foreign university. Rather, it is a study of a language, a people, a culture and a history. Needless to say, learning does not only take place in the classroom, but also in the community.

As a group of friends and I exited the cafeteria Oct. 12, commotion and excitement greeted us. We were experiencing what the French call “la grève.” This demonstration mobilized young and old alike. Many students attending “lycée,” the French equivalent of our high school, stood up for their beliefs and exercised their legal right to strike. In fact, L’Union Nationale Lycéens exists in France.

As far as I know, high school students in the USA do not create a union for themselves. These protestors actively voice their beliefs and make themselves known to their community and country. As we stood on the sidelines, several groups of union workers marched passed us waving their flags and flares, and voicing their extreme dislike for the potential new law raising the minimum retirement age to 62.

This was not the only strike I witnessed. A few weeks beforehand, the sound of cannons and music drew me to the massive crowd of protestors at the Place de la Bastille in Paris. Thousands of balloons and flags filled the air as I looked up shocked to see groups of teenagers hanging out on the base of the Bastille monument. As this was my first exposure to la grève, I was highly curious and excited.

Reading about and studying French protests is definitely not the same as witnessing them first hand, because I was able to feel the energy in the air and in the souls of the protestors. By simply reading about a strike, this intensity is not felt. That is why studying abroad is a terrific opportunity to experience and learn about the many intangible things making up a people and a culture that are so difficult to put into words.

With thousands of people not attending work (or being paid), it is natural whole communities are affected. Public transportation is limited on strike days and some public schools are not in session due to lack of teachers or blockades. Witnessing the demonstration in Angers, UCO exchange student Alina Meltaus from Allegheny College in Meadville, PA said “I’m kind of scared; it’s a lot of angry people in one place.”

This being said, strikes in France are not the safest place to be. I advise everyone around strikes in any country (the USA included) to watch the surroundings and make good decisions.

Also from Allegheny College, Nikki Smilak said “I think it’s fun.”

Experiencing a big part of another country’s culture should be! – as long as you go about it safely.

While strikes in the USA tend to be more localized and unpublicized (often involving labor workers in large companies), the French grève tends to be nationwide and highly publicized. Protests in several French cities took place Tuesday as well.

Furthermore, the strikes are advertised in advance. While watching the parade of thousands on the 12th, I was handed a flyer inviting me to join their cause at future dates and locations, the first being this coming Saturday.

Reflecting back on my experiences with strikes, I am reminded of the adjunct lecturer rally through EMU’s campus in March 2010, when students joined forces with the lecturers to help them promote their desire for improved labor laws. Signs, chants, and spirit were present, just like in France.
While I am not promoting strikes, I think that it is honorable to stand up for one’s beliefs, especially when they are liberty based.

For more information on this important event in EMU history, please visit http://www.easternecho.com/index.php/article/2010/03/students_staff_rally_on_behalf_of_adjuncts

Witnessing a strike is just one of several ways to study another culture and people. When traveling in another country, I invite everyone to make the most out of opportunities and to truly immerse yourself in the way of life. You do not have to be a “study abroad student” to have a rewarding study abroad experience!