Junior Joe Morris has been slack lining around campus since he discovered the sport his freshman year. The 20-year-old Morris reminds us that slack lining is not the same as tight rope walking. Unlike, tight rope walkers, slack liners balance on a rope that moves, which Morris said “makes it much harder.”

Slack liners discover relaxation, fun on campus in unique sport

When Joe Morris was a freshman at Eastern Michigan walking to class on a Thursday afternoon, he saw a fellow student practicing something unlike anything he had ever seen. The day after, Morris decided he wanted to pursue this newly discovered activity known as “slack lining” and went out and bought his own equipment to start.

Now, more than two years later, Morris can be seen on campus continuing to take part in the activity he found by mere coincidence, and it has become one of his biggest passions he has stuck with and has done every week since his first encounter.

Although slack lining involves balancing across a rope, Morris points out it is far different from tight rope walking.

“You can’t really compare slack lining to any sport because it incorporates different skills from different sports,” Morris said. “It is like tight rope walking on a rope that moves, kind of like a rubber band, which makes it much harder than tight rope walking.”

When Morris began to partake in slack lining he did it as a way to meet new people. The originality of the activity made it something people could not help but stop and ask questions about.

He said, “Every time that I come out and do it, I meet so many new people. A lot of times people will just stare and not say anything, but I always encourage them to ask questions about it and ask if they want to try. I love seeing people that have never tried it before and whether or not they can do it.”

Even though it came easily to him, Morris pointed out it is not something everyone can do and he sees people try time and time again.

“Most of the people I see try to do it are really bad, but there is a group of about four of us that slack line regularly around campus,” Morris said. “It just takes really good balance. Personally, I have tried to unicycle in the past and juggled, which may make me better at slack lining because of the balance and coordination that comes with it.”

Slack lining, like many sports and hobbies, has become a competitive event with tricks and tournaments, but Morris does not do it for the competition or bragging rights. Instead, he sees it as a way to relax.

“It has never been about competition to me, but I look at it as a way to calm me down,” Morris said. “It is just relaxing to me and helps me chill. When I am on the rope, I cannot think about anything else because I have to have total focus on balancing, which is something that is definitely a de-stressor.”

Because of the Michigan climate, slack lining is not always a practical outdoor activity, so Morris and his friends have alternate spots on campus where they can stay warm and dry when the weather conditions are not preferable.

According to Morris, there are very specific conditions that can lead to a perfect atmosphere for slack lining.

“Seventy-three degrees Fahrenheit, not humid, and a little cloudy, I like to say about ten percent cloudy with a low breeze, but not too windy because it makes it harder to balance, makes for the best possible day,” Morris said.

It does not take much for someone to get involved in slack lining, and the equipment necessary to start is typically priced between $30-$50 depending on what kind of rope one buys.

When asked for some reasons to start slack lining, Morris said, “Because no one can, so if you can do it you are one of a select few. It is relaxing and lets you clear your mind while you are trying to do it. Also it teaches balance and is a great way to meet people.”