Indie art fest, local music feature Ypsi

Preview

Since Ypsilanti was selected to take part in Michigan’s Downtowns program in 2007, there has been steady development in the historic downtown areas on and around Michigan Avenue. Ypsi’s own Club Divine was revamped earlier this year, becoming what is now the edgier and intimate Savoy, a new music venue with a standing capacity of 700, located at 23 N. Washington Street.

The D.I.Ypsi Handmade Holiday Fair will be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 11 at Savoy. Admission is free and will feature indie art from 29 vendors with specialties ranging from lampwork glass and birch bark jewelry to upcycled sculpture as well as apparel for men, women and children. This first-year fair also will host an array of food provided by local culinary artists and also boasts a full bar. It will be a unique opportunity to find one-of-a-kind gifts while supporting local artists.

Be sure to catch some low-key vibes or more up-beat tunes from bands with names like Charlie Slick, playing today, The Bluecasters on the 9th and Ann Arbor’s own Gun Lake on the 18th, plus many more, playing pretty much every-other day this month at Savoy.

Coming up on the 8th is a benefit show for local Andy Kotowics, dubbed on Savoy’s website as “music enthusiast, former Schoolkids Records album slinger and Sub Pop Records honcho,” who passed away in a car accident.

For a full events calendar, visit savoyypsi.com. Or for information on booking at Savoy, email Doug at savoybooking@gmail.com. For more information on D.I.Ypsi, including a complete vendor list and directions to the event, visit www.diypsi.com.