No. 1 OSU undefeated in Big Ten

College basketball’s top three seeds were on showcase Saturday, with one team pulling off the victory on a day of upsets.

No. 1 Ohio State remains unbeaten, as it defeated host and No. 22 Illinois, 73-68, improving its record to 20-0 and 7-0 in the Big Ten play.

Freshman Jared Sullinger led the Buckeyes to a victory scoring 27 points, with 16 rebounds, while Illini Jereme Richmond scored 18 points, with 10 rebounds in the Big Ten showdown.

The fighting Illini finished the first-half on top, 34-33, and kept the game competitive throughout until Sullinger took over in the second-half. He scored Ohio State’s first nine points in the second-half, shot 13-for-15 from the free-throw line and played all 40 minutes.

Down south No. 10 Texas pulled off the upset against No. 2 Kansas, 74-63, ending a 69-game home win streak.
It was Feb. 3, 2007, when No. 2 Kansas Jayhawks last lost a home game at Allen Fieldhouse.

With the upset, Texas played spoilers to a sentimental night for sophomore Thomas Robinson, who lost his mother the night before. Before the game, a moment of silence was held for Thompson’s mother.

The game started the Jayhawks’ way, with the team scoring the game’s first 10 points and finished the first-half with a 35-23 lead, only to have a drop off in the second-half.

Kansas is 18-1 and 3-1 in Big 12 play, while Texas is 16-3 4-0 in Big 12 play.

On the East Coast, No. 7 Villanova defeated No. 3 Syracuse, 83-72, giving the Orange their second straight loss.

The Wildcats pulled the victory off at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse by shooting the three-ball and getting a game out of Maalik Wayns, who finished with 21 points. Syracuse’s Kris Joseph had 23 points, and Rick Jackson had his fourth double-double having 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Villanova is 17-2 and 5-1 in the Big East play Syracuse is 18-2 and 5-2 .