17-year-old female stabbed

A 17-year-old female Ypsilanti High School student was stabbed multiple times by a classmate at 2:54 p.m. Tuesday afternoon after school let out. The incident occurred on the bike trail in the wooded area near the high school.

A passerby discovered the victim on the trail near Packard Road sheriff deputies said, and called 911.

The victim was transported to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital by ambulance where she had surgery. She is now in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery.

The suspect, a 17- year-old male, left the scene, but he was arrested without incident at his home and transported to the county jail. No charges have been filed yet as of press time.

Derrick Jackson, Community Engagement Director for the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office, said although the investigation is ongoing, he could confirm the victim does know the suspect.

“They are acquaintances,” he said. “They do know each other. We’re not sure what started it, but obviously he got really upset and decided to do something about it.”

Ypsilanti Public Schools Director of Public Relations Emma Jackson said the suspect has been suspended. She also said messages were sent out to parents, students and staff Tuesday night, letting them know counselors and social workers are available, if needed.