Gymnasts defeat Air Force

The Eagles gymnastics team notched its third win of the season on Saturday when they knocked off Air Force, 191.500-188.175.

The Eagles are now 3-5 (2-2 MAC) in the season with four remaining meets before the MAC Championships and the NCAA Regionals. After the loss, the Air Force Falcons dropped to 1-4 on the year.

Eagles’ senior Nikole Viltz led the team with a score of 9.875 on the vault, finishing first and setting a career-high.

Senior Lisa Wong (Air Force) tied for first on the balance beam, and freshman Jen Larsen was the meet’s runner-up on the floor exercise.

Larsen matched her career-best tally of 9.625 to place second on the floor exercise.
Following Viltz on the beam, freshman Ashley Quinton finished second on the vault with a score of 9.700.

Quinton tied for first with teammate junior Stacy Wood on the uneven parallel bars (9.675). She also tied for third with fellow freshman Shawna Ciaramella on the balance beam, scoring 9.525.

Another career-high performance came from sophomore Kristina Kurkmillis who recorded a third place finish with a score of 9.625 on the vault.

A season-high performance from junior Kristin Yourick helped seal the win for the Eagles, as she scored a 9.750 on the floor exercise, taking first place overall. She also recorded a 9.000 on the beam and a 9.575 on the bars.

The Eagles are back in the gym on Thursday, February 24th when they face the Central Michigan Chippewas on Mt. Pleasant to end the month.

To open up March, the Eagles will once again face Air Force on the 2nd and 5th of the new month.