Heat is up, Cavs are down

Despite taking his talents to South Beach over the summer and losing credibility because of it, Miami forward LeBron James has been putting up MVP-caliber stats this season.

James is currently averaging 26.1 points, just 1.7 points shy of his career average. In fact, James is averaging more assists (7.3) than his average (6.9) and more rebounds, averaging 7.2 as opposed to his 7.0 average from seven seasons with Cleveland.

Everyone thought going to Miami and joining forces with Dwayne Wade and ex-Toronto Raptor Chris Bosh would lower his numbers. But, James is proving otherwise.

After a slow start to the season, the Heat are currently on a six-game winning streak and have the East’s second-best record, 37-14, one game back from the Boston Celtics. James has stated he does not expect the MVP award at the end of the season, but based on the way he’s playing, he just might get it.
The other two candidates in the top three for MVP are Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose and Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki.

Rose is averaging a near double-double every game, scoring 24.6 points along with a career-high 8.2 assists per game. He is also averaging a career-best in rebounds since being drafted first overall back in 2008. Chicago is atop the Central division by a long shot with 12 games ahead of Indiana. Nowitzki is averaging 23.1 points per game despite missing nine games due to injury. The Mavericks are second in the West at 36-15, but 6 1/2 games behind the NBA-leading San Antonio Spurs.

The Cleveland Cavaliers set an NBA record with their 25th straight loss of the season on Monday when they lost to the streaking Mavericks by a score of 99-96. The Cavs had a chance with two seconds remaining to tie it, but poor clock management or just lack of awareness of time was the dagger in the heart for the Cavs as the horn went off before a shot was even put in the air.

NBA

Talking trades, Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony is back on the block, this time being looked at by the New York Knicks. Over the summer, the Knicks agreed to a five year, $99.7 million contract with superstar Amar’e Stoudemire, and now they are looking to add to their young, talented force.

The Knicks have been having their best season since the Patrick Ewing era and are currently the sixth seed in the East, second in their division.

As of late, the Los Angeles Lakers, who are in the run for a three-peat after winning the last two NBA championships, are struggling.

Lakers’ owner Jerry Buss has stated that he is open to trade proposals in efforts of helping his team.
With the NBA All-Star break starting next Friday, there is a lot to look forward to. The 60th All-Star Game will take place in Los Angeles.

Wade took the All-Star MVP honors last year, scoring 28 points and dishing out 11 assists in the 141-139 East win.

Rookie sensation Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers will be the spotlight of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. He will be competing against Wizards’ Javale McGee, Thunder’s Serge Ibaka, and Raptors’ DeMar DeRozan.

Competing in the three-point contest is the Celtics’ Ray Allen, who is two three-pointers shy of passing Reggie Miller for the NBA record for three-pointers.

Allen will be up against teammate and defending champion Paul Pierce. Only six players in the event’s history have won multiple contests, which gives Pierce a chance to add himself to the list.