Music festival features contemporary works

Eastern Michigan University opened its 17th Biennial Music Now Fest Wednesday, with an opening concert featuring EMU faculty performing contemporary works.

The festival continues well into the weekend, with not only performances, but also a plethora of educational experiences.

The Music Now Fest features a contemporary composer who comes to Eastern to not only be a guest conductor, but also to speak of his or her experiences composing, as well as to work with students in the music department’s many ensembles.

his year, the feature composer is Dan Welcher.

Called “one of the most promising American composers I have ever heard,” by music critic Royal S. Brown in 1974.

Welcher has been a part of ensembles like the Louisville Orchestra, and has taught at the University of Louisville and The University of Texas.

His works number over 100, and span many genres including chamber music, opera, vocal literature and symphony.

“It’ll be interesting to see how his music has evolved,” said Marsha Rinke, Events and Outreach Coordinator for the Department of Music and Dance.

“He’s a premier composer, to have him on campus is an honor,” Amy Knopps, Assistant Director of Bands at EMU, said.

The festival provides the chance for students to play something other than “dead guys. … it proves music is still alive and breathing,” said Garik Pedersen, a part of the EMU piano faculty who performed in last night’s opening concert.

Pedersen played the debut of a piece composed by Joseph Gurt, an EMU Emeritus faculty member.

A percussion ensemble also premiered a piece by EMU alumni Jason Ihnat. This performance, and the chamber music performance of Welcher’s music tonight at 8 p.m. showcases EMU faculty.

“Its kind of the best of the best,” Rinke said.

“Contemporary composers who are local have a chance to get performed,” he said.

The finale concert will take place Friday at 8 p.m.

Rinke explains this concert is unique because “it’s the only concert all year where you’ll get an opportunity to see all our large ensembles.”

The finale concert continues in the vein of showcasing local composers, faculty members Anthony Iannacone and Whitney Prince.

“It’s a cool thing, that we have a couple of resident composers here,” Rinke said.

“I’m looking forward to having Dan Welcher sitting in the audience, hearing what we’re playing,” said sophomore trumpet player Michael Block, who will be playing Welcher’s music in the Symphony Orchestra and Wind Symphony.

The festival will showcase Welcher’s teaching expertise by having him lead open rehearsals today and Friday, allowing him to work with a multitude of EMU students.

In addition, he speaks tonight on composing, and hold a panel discussion on the process Friday.

“We’re really excited to have Dan Welcher,” Knopps said. “I’m looking forward to the collaboration.”

“I just think this is a proud moment for the music department,” Pedersen said.