Swimmer works hard, keeps with winning tradition

The men’s swimming team at Eastern Michigan University has won 59 straight meets in the Mid-American Conference. It is 3-0 in the MAC this season.

Every year, the men’s swimming team is considered a favorite to win the MAC championship.

Jacob Hanson has never seen Eastern Michigan lose at home during a dual meet because it has never happened since he’s been an Eagle.

“I’m really excited about this year, it should be fun,” Hanson, a sophomore, said.
If the swim team wins the MAC this year, it will be the fifth in a row for coach Peter Linn and the Eagles.
It will be Hanson’s second in two years.

“I came on a recruit trip,” Jacob Hanson said. “I talked to Linn, and I liked him. I liked all the guys on the team. I thought it was a good fit for me. And it was.”

MAC MAC

“The biggest thing is the mental aspect; he keeps me thinking about my stroke,” Hanson said.
Hanson said he has been swimming since he was 8-years old.

“I got into swimming because of my sister,” Hanson said. “I tried it because of her. My sister and I are really competitive. She has always kept track of me.”

If big sister Emily has been keeping an eye on her brother, she must’ve noticed he’s been making a name for himself.

Hanson received honors of being All-State in the 100 backstroke and was All-American in the 100 fly and 100 backstroke while attending the Normal Community High School in Normal, Ill. in his senior year.

Hanson’s first year as an Eagle ended with him winning the 200 and 400 individual medley with Division IB qualifying times. He was also named MAC Swimmer of the Week after winning the 400 IM and the 100 backstroke against Purdue in November of 2009.

“In my freshman year, I was pretty excited when I won that award,” Hanson said. “I didn’t really know what it was at first. Coach told me it was based on performance. I had a good meet so I was pumped about that.”

Hanson has seen similar success this season against Purdue, posting one of his best times in the 200 backstroke and in the 200 individual medley in a dual meet against Purdue back in November of 2010.

More importantly Hanson has won himself a MAC championship as a part of the Eagles.

“It felt pretty cool,” Hanson said. “It was pretty sweet that I won. All the hard work paid off and did it for the team to win the MAC.”

The swim team under Linn just doesn’t lose in the MAC, the MAC championships, or at home. Hanson agreed.
“I think we get pretty get excited here at home,” Hanson said. “We can show people that we are a hard team to beat here, and we don’t like to be beat.”