U.S. backs Tea Party ideas, not its leaders

GOP faction wants voice heard

The insanity of the current American political landscape is slowly eating away at my sanity and my liver. Whichever fails first, whoever finds my body; tell the remaining beer in my fridge that I love it.

Anyway, if you’re sick of my complaining and moaning about the Tea Party, feel free to stop reading now, because frankly even I’m sick of it. But even a lone voice must go on into the night.

A poll from The Daily Caller showed “seven in 10 adults, including 88 percent of Republicans, agree that Republican leaders in Congress should take the Tea Party movement’s objectives and views into account when addressing the country’s problems. Fifty-three percent of Republicans and 26 percent of Democrats rated this consideration as very important.”

The poll also said people had a more favorable view of the Republican Party than the Tea Party movement. So while people don’t like the Tea Party, they do like the ideas and want the Republicans to adopt them.

Excuse me while I beat my head against my desk. Apparently people believe in what the Tea Party advocates – small government, low taxes – they just don’t want it being spouted by what appears to be a horde of illiterate, uneducated, religiously-zealot, racist hicks.

They’d prefer the religiously-zealot, racist, wealthy, anti-poor officials to adopt the platform. Lesser of two evils, I guess.
This does make some sense, believe it or not. The Tea Party movement was a response to the Democrats’ power and the desire for an opposition to that power beyond merely the Republican Party.

The two groups have similar goals, and furthermore, one is an actual political party, while the other is not.

So for the people in the poll to state they want the GOP adopting Tea Party ideas just means they want to see those goals in the hands of people that can get them done, get them done calmly and get them done within the established political network. That’s the idea at least.

Politics seem to have gotten more complicated these days. The Tea Party movement is intent on having its voice heard. If they can’t get the voice through the Republicans, they’ll find a new way to do it. The Republicans so far have had a wary relationship with the Tea Party.

The Republicans work with the Tea Party, because it means votes and people in office. But it also means unpredictable, loose cannons roaming the political landscape. It’s too early in this new political climate to see the fallout, but either way it seems the Tea Party’s voice will be heard. Whether or not it’s best for the nation is another matter.