Campus hosts government career fair

Acquiring a job after college requires more than just a diploma and a nice smile, which is why Eastern Michigan University held a career fair Wednesday to help show students how to navigate the job market.

As with the past career fairs hosted by University Advising and Career Development Center, Wednesday’s Call to Serve Government Career Fair provided a good networking and learning experience for EMU students.

The process of handing your resume to someone at an organization has been replaced with online applications; this has made attending career fairs more important and relevant for college students and graduates.

“It is an opportunity for students to learn about careers, the employers, the application process, and get answers to their questions,” UACDC Senior Corporate Relations Manager and organizer of this event, Barbara J. Jones said.

Students hoping for employment or internship opportunities constantly filtered in and out of the Student Center Ballroom to talk with the employers at the career fair.

“I got a lot of information for what I need to do,” EMU graduate David Maryanski said. “Definitely see a lot of people here looking for job.”

Sophomores Anthony Jones and Michael Martucci attended the fair to better position themselves against a competitive job market.

“I want to get a start on seeking out some job opportunities,” Anthony Jones said.

He said he planned to show “a little hunger and personality” to get the attention of potential employers.

Martucci said he specifically was seeking an internship with the FBI.

Some of the national government organizations in attendance included the Drug Enforcement Agency, U.S. Marshal Service, Federal Air Marshal Service, National Labor Relations Board and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. All of the various organizations were interested in chatting with students.

Representing the U.S. Marshal’s was 1996 EMU alumnus Kevin Jones. Jones said he recommends students start early when it comes to searching for jobs.

“Start your junior year,” Jones said. “You can start application process for Federal jobs six months before you graduate.”

Several of the organizations at the career fair fly under the radar as potential employment opportunities for college graduates.

“When I was at EMU, the U.S. Marshal Service was not coming to these events,” Jones said. “We’re trying to let students know that this is an option.”

While at EMU, Jones majored in criminology and sociology.

Maria Guizer, a representative from the Michigan Department of Corrections, was also in attendance to tell students of potential jobs.

“We want to make people aware of the job opportunities available in corrections,” Guizer said. “This is one of the better career fairs; students are prepared, seeking information and willing to speak.”

EMU students showed up dressed to impress with resumes in hand, and many left impressed by the career fair.

“It was awesome, overall experience was a 10-out-of-10,” senior Michael Steward said.

Many of these students were preparing to embark on life after college and gained some valuable experience from the career fair.

“Got a chance to update my resume,” senior Ashley Taylor said. “I learned to be bold and take charge.”

Steward said an important thing he learned was to be prepared to answer questions potential employers might throw your way.

The employers were very approachable and talkative to students, often taking several minutes to discuss future career opportunities.

“The students at EMU are very eager and enthusiastic in getting a job,” Jarrell Burkett of State of Michigan Department of Human Services said.

According to Burkett, there are a number of positions to be filled.

“Out of the 500 positions open we have only filled 150,” Burkett said.

This career fair contained several employers actively involved in job recruitment or filling internship positions.

“We love Eastern Michigan students and we are actively hiring people now,” City Year recruitment manager Brandis Taylor said.