Ramsey

Ramsey still Eagles coach, for now

Charles Ramsey, coach of the Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball team has gone six seasons as the man calling the shots for the Eagles. But the results of the 2010-2011 season seem to be a too familiar sight for Eagles fans.

The men’s basketball team finished 9-22, and finished fifth in the west division of the Mid-American Conference 5-11.

Eastern Michigan University athletic director Derrick Gragg said Monday that the evaluation of the men’s basketball program is ongoing and no changes or final decisions have been made.

Ramsey was not available for a response.

MAC rival Northern Illinois fired its former coach Mike Irvin, and replaced him with Michigan State assistant Mark Montgomery.

The Eagles were a young team last season, nine of 15 players on Ramsey’s roster either had one year’s experience or had never played a game of basketball for the Eagles.

The team’s lack of experience showed in its record. On the road, the team went 1-13 and 1-3 at a neutral site, while at home the Eagles went above .500 with a 7-6 record.

The team had two seniors on the team, Brandon Bowdry and Jay Higgins.

Bowdry played every collegiate game under Ramsey, while Higgins’ first year came in the 2009-2010 season after he had transferred over from junior college at Hillsborough Community College in Florida.

The highlights of the season came in glimpses shown by the young guard play of first-year transfers in junior Darrell Lampley and sophomore Derek Thompson. Lampley averaged 5.9 points in MAC play; Thompson averaged 10.4 points in MAC play.

Another guard, redshirt freshman J.R. Sims is another upside to look at for the 2011-2012 basketball season for the Eagles.

Sims has gained confidence from experience and his starts this season under Ramsey.