Softball triumphs over Austin Peay

Six hits and three runs scored in the first inning helped the Eastern Michigan University softball team get an 8-3 victory against Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tenn., on Saturday.

The Eagles had 14 hits with five players having two or more individually.

Sarah Gerber went 3-for-4, Lauren Delapaz 2-for-5, Jessica Richards 2-for-4, Stacie Skodinski 2-for-3 and Lindsay Smith 2-for-3.

Jenna Ignowski (7-1) won a complete game striking out seven, giving up seven hits and one earned run.

APSU’s offense was led by Tiffany Smith, who was 2-for-4, and Shelby Norton, 2-for-3.

The Governors started the game with Ashley Bolda (1-5) on the mound, but she would only last two-thirds of an inning after giving up five hits and three runs. With the win, the Eagles improve to 10-4 on the season and have now won two straight. Austin Peay is 5-21.

In the second inning, Austin Peay was down 3-2 and had bases loaded with no outs. But Ignowski got Morgan Brewer to strike out looking and Lauren de Castro to strike out swinging before getting Catie Cozart to fly out to center field, ending the threat.

The Eagles pushed their lead to 8-2 after scoring two runs in the fourth and adding three in the sixth.

APSU EMU

The game was resumed Sunday at 11 a.m. Results of both games can be found at EasternEcho.com.EMU had been scheduled to play 16-6 Notre Dame on March 23, but the game was also cancelled because of poor weather conditions.

The Eagles’ last win prior to Saturday came Sunday, March 20, in an 8-4 win against Loyola-Chicago University in the final game of the Hoosier Classic in Bloomington, Ind.