Student Government Elections: Candidates

Phoebe Conybeare, president; Aaron Jameyson, VP

Conybeare is an honors student studying international affairs, area studies- Latin America, and is the current director of student relations for Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government. She is a member of Delta Zeta sorority, has worked with VISION, Colleges Against Cancer, the First Year Mentor Program and other organizations.
Conybeare said she is proud of the knowledge she has attained while at EMU and she plans to be a passionate leader if chosen.

“As president, I know I can continue to secure a powerful and focused voice to the administration regarding student concerns,” she said. “My imagination and ability to take ideas or problems, and use feedback and research to shape them into whatever is best for students at all times, makes me the best candidate for president.”

Jameyson, a senior studying international business, is currently serves as speaker of the senate for Student Government. He is also the current executive vice president for the Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization. Jameyson has also been involved in other organizations on campus.

Jameyson said he’s gained a variety of useful attributes while being involved in Student Government and he plans to utilize them to tackle issues.

“I have a unique leadership style that allows me to work hard, but be empathetic to all issues,” he said. “I am able to breakdown all facets of an issue to properly find the best solution possible.”

One of the issues the pair plans to tackle is campus safety. According to their platform, students living in off-campus apartments and houses should feel just as safe as those who live on campus. If elected, they want to create a designated driver program that would allow students to get around Ypsilanti safely in the evening hours.

Conybeare and Jameyson also want to lobby for gender-neutral housing at EMU by providing an LGBTQ/Ally housing option in a residence hall.

Other issues they want to address include making Halle Library accessible 24/7 by keeping the ground floor open; easier transportation to and from campus with a partnership with the AATA; student advisory boards to address the needs of students within each college at the University; sponsoring forums to discuss student debt and career options; fighting tuition increases; and more involvement with the COB.

For more information, visit their campaign website, phoebeandaaron2011.weebly.com.

Muneeb Khan, president; Ashley Reynolds, VP

Muneeb Khan is a junior majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry. Khan was born and raised in Pakistan and worked a variety of different jobs when he moved to the United States, including a year-long stint at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis. At EMU, Khan has been a part of student government, CloseUp Theatre Troupe and Delta Sigma Phi.

In his biography provided by Student Government, Khan said his most gratifying experience has come from his involvement on campus.

“I enjoy helping others in any way I can,” Khan said. “Humanitarianism is my true religion. With everything Eastern has given me, I aspire to give back by making our campus an even more friendly, inclusive and productive family.”

Senior Ashley Reynolds is majoring in communication with a minor in journalism. According to her biography, growing up in a military family has helped mold her into a disciplined, yet empathetic person.

“I’ve always considered myself to be a dedicated worker,” she said. “When I set my mind to a task and become passionate about any- and every-thing, I work beyond my potential.”

While at EMU, Reynolds has become involved in organizations such as the Black Student Union and You Beautiful Black Woman.

A particular issue of importance to Khan and Reynolds is getting the American Government course included in the general education requirements again. They believe in order to be well-rounded and educated voters and leaders, students need
to understand American values and constitutional principles.

They also plan to advocate to give students a voice on matters such as capital outlay — the money given to universities to build on campuses, changes to student bridge card laws, medical amnesty and student absentee voter legislation.

Programs they plan to start include a bike share program, a service grant reward for student organizations and a book exchange program.

The pair also wants to make sure the university upholds its “Education First” motto by expanding more student representation in Academic Affairs.

To learn more about duo’s platforms, visit whatsyourchange.wordpress.com.

Jelani McGadney, president; Jeffrey Chicoine, VP

Senior Jelani McGadney is studying international affairs at EMU and he has served as a Residential Advisor. Previous positions he has held include president of the Wise Hall Leadership and Advisor Board, EMU International Affairs Specialist and head delegate of the United Nations Student Alliance. McGadney has also interned with Scottish Parliament.

He said his “phenomenal” experience at EMU has driven him to service the community and his various positions have prepared him to lead student government.

“This combination of local and international understanding has given me a unique perspective concerning what it means to be an Eagle and what should be brought to your Student Government,” he said.

VP candidate Jeffrey Chicoine said his three years at EMU have provided him with “amazing opportunities.” Chicoine said he is thrilled to have another chance to represent the diverse student body.

“I have been fully engaged in university life in spite of my daily 35-mile commute and would bring the understanding of non-traditional and commuter student life to the office,” he said.

Chicoine has had experience as a supplemental instruction leader, was president of EMU’s chapter of Amnesty International as well as an international affairs specialist.

One big issue the pair want to address is the idea of EMU students being issued a university card to use the AATA buses to get to class. McGadney believes this would free up parking and support EMU’s effort to be green. McGadney also is proposing the creation of car pool lots. He said this would relieve the main parking lots and structures.

The pair also wants to establish printing stations in all academic buildings and help the relationship between academic advisors and EMU students. McGadney also finds the representation of students with disabilities really important. He is interested in establishing a Student Senate seat that would be filled by the Office of Students with Disabilities.

If elected McGadney wants to tackle the possible cuts to higher education. He plans to fight tuition increases by looking for ways for EMU to save money and cut costs.

Jacob Speck, president; Isra Daraiseh, VP

Speck, a sophomore at EMU, is double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. He has worked at the College of Business and the University Advising and Career Development Center.

In his biography, he said he is very involved on EMU’s campus. He is the vice president of the Residence Hall Association and a delegate on Student Government. Speck is also a New Student Orientation Assistant and he has spent time volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. Speck is helping to start a Habitat for Humanity chapter at EMU.

Daraiseh is a junior business management major. She was born in Ramtha, Jordan and raised there until she moved to the United States at age eight. She said she came to EMU because it is a diverse institution that has offered great opportunities. Daraiseh has worked for the housing and dining department as well as the Center for Student Involvement.

She has also served on the leadership advisory board and is currently a senator in Student Government and the president of the McNair Scholar Society.

Daraiseh said she believes she brings a lot to the table.

“It is my goal to give back and therefore serve the students here,” she said. “I can bring a multitude of diversity, experience and personality to the face of EMU.”

Additional information about these candidates including their platforms was not provided by press time.