EMU chooses new dean for College of Education

Eastern Michigan University has named Jann Joseph, a top administrator at Grand Valley State University, as its new dean of the College of Education.

Joseph has served as associate dean for professional development and administration in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Grand Valley.

While at the Grand Valley, she was involved in major projects including the development of a new major for elementary school teachers.

Joseph also served on a design time at Grand Valley and oversaw the process of moving 115 faculty members into a new building.

Joseph said she is “excited” to become a part of EMU and is prepared to help lead the College of Education in its pursuits.

“I am looking forward to working with colleagues in the arts and sciences to help increase the number of under-represented minorities who pursue teaching careers in math and sciences,” Joseph said in a release.

“The faculty’s commitment to students is inspiring, and I am eager to join my new colleagues to support the development of new teachers who will be leaders and change agents in pre-K-12 schools and beyond.”

Joseph will also serve as a professor of teacher education, with tenure; her appointment is effective July 1, 2011, pending approval by the Board of Regents.

Her annual salary will be $155,000.