Ignowski

Ignowski pitches no-hitter in 16-0 win against WMU

Jenna Ignowski recorded her first career no-hitter, leading the Eastern Michigan University softball team to a 16-0 victory over Western Michigan University in game one of a double-header Saturday.

The Broncos won the second game 4-3 for a split on the day.

Ignowski (9-2) is the 10th pitcher to post a no-hitter in Eagles’ history. In five innings, she struck out seven players and walked one.

“I want to throw at least one perfect game in my college career,” Ignowski told the Echo last week. “It’s a tough goal, and not very likely.”

A no-hitter with one walk isn’t too far from that goal.

EMU had a game that will go down in the record books. The team’s 16 runs tied for second highest in program history, which has not been done since 1989.

The Eagles’ 17 hits is tied for seventh most in the record books while their 14 RBI are the second most by an EMU team.

The team’s five doubles tied for second most in a contest and seven extra-base hits are good for second most achieved in a game in the program’s history.

The Eagles are 15-7 and 2-2 in the Mid-American Conference.

The Broncos are 7-20 and 2-2.

EMU had six players with multiple-hit performances.

Lauren Delapaz led the way with four runs in a 2-for-3 effort.

Stacie Skodinski hit a home run on one of her three hits, scoring three times for the Eagles.

Sarah Gerber added a 3-for-4 effort, posting an RBI and three runs.

The Eagles got off to a 2-0 lead in the first inning as Skodinski doubled to center field and Jessica Richards scored from second. Skodinski then scored on an error.

Going into the fourth, the Eagles held a four-run lead and nine more runs made it 13-0.

The Eagles would hit three more runs in the fifth.

In the second game, Lauren Wells started for EMU. But Ignowski took over after Western got two runs in two innings..

The Eagles will head to Cleveland State (17-10) Wednesday for a non-conference double-header against the Vikings.

The first game will begin at 3 p.m.