Weekly movie preview: Medieval stoners, action premieres over weekend

“Your Highness”
Starring: Danny McBride, Zooey Deschanel, James Franco, Natalie Portman; Directed by: David Gordon Green

It’s been a long time coming, but we finally have a stoner comedy set in the time of a Renaissance Faire. When the beautiful Belladonna (Deschanel) is kidnapped by an evil wizard, her betrothed (Franco) sets out to rescue her. His kid brother (McBride) and resident tough gal (Portman) are along for the ride as they race to rescue Belladonna before their kingdom is destroyed.

With the recent popularity of the late-night comedy, this promises to be a nice break from the same plot lines while keeping the laughs.

“Hanna”
Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett, Eric Bana; Directed by: Joe Wright

This action/adventure film follows Hanna (Ronan), an almost superhuman teenager who was raised by her father (Bana), a former CIA agent, in the middle of nowhere. After years of assassin training, her father sends her on a mission which ultimately leads her to the truth about who she is.
Director Joe Wright has some really great movies on his resume (“Pride and Prejudice,” “Atonement”), but this is his first venture into action. But between his skill and the talent of his cast, it should be worth a watch.

“Arthur”
Starring: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner; Directed by: Jason Winer

This comedy remake follows the antics of billionaire playboy Arthur Bach (Brand) who was told to marry the woman his family wants him to (Garner) or kiss his billions goodbye. But, trouble brews when he falls for a lowly tour guide. When he understands what he wants, he asks for help from his loyal nanny (Mirren).

While Mirren and Garner have some established acting chops, Brand is still best known for his TV antics and for being married to singer Kay Perry. Maybe this will bring him up from the guy who’s married to someone famous to being a star in his own right.

This Weekend at the Student Center:
“The Green Hornet”

Starring: Seth Rogan, Jay Chou, Christoph Waltz, Cameron Diaz; Directed by: Michel Gondry
When playboy son of L.A.’s main media mogul (Rogan) inherits the publishing business after his father’s sudden death, his life changes. But, not as much as when he and his driver Kato (Chou) stop a robbery. He becomes the anti-hero the Green Hornet to help save the people of L.A.

While this film made a pretty quick jump from the big screen to DVD it could make for a fun night at the movies to help relax before finals kick off next week.