Dyer Chair created to attack social phobias

Timothy Dyer, a former Eastern Michigan University Regent, pledged $1.5 million for the creation of the Dr. Timothy J. Dyer Distinguished Interdisciplinary Chair in Forensics/Debate and Human Rights last October. His generosity is beginning to bear fruit.

“I am honored and grateful that Timothy Dyer has determined that students and faculty will continue to benefit from his great allegiance to our institution,” President Susan Martin said.

Dyer’s gift was contributed to EMU’s “Invest. Inspire. The Campaign for Eastern Michigan University” endowment. The campaign was designed to allow EMU to add new resources through the endowment.

“This gift ensures that he will remain an important and active contributor to the mission of Eastern Michigan University,” Martin said.

Dyer, an EMU alumnus, has many ties to the Ypsilanti area, serving as mayor of Ypsilanti from 1968 to 1970 and as a debate/forensic coach in the area.

The Chair has since created the Center for the Study and Research of Equality and Human Rights in the College of Arts and Sciences, which will be directed by Dr. Dennis Patrick.

The center will have many ties with programs throughout EMU, but will work closely with the communications department, media and theater departments and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center.
The Dyer Center was created to help research and combat hatred and social phobias.

“Hate is an evil and destructive emotion,” Dyer said in the press release. “It ignores reason and
intellectual inquiry and should be eradicated whenever it raises its ugly head. The only way to do this is through educated enlightenment. We have seen over our own short history that education is the most effective way to eliminate prejudice, ignorance, discrimination and hate.”

Patrick’s first goal is to find EMU faculty that have done, or are doing, research activity on equal and human rights issues. The first issue the Dyer Center is focusing on is research that could minimize homophobia in society.

On May 31st, President Obama designated June 2011 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month. According to a press release, Obama called upon the American people to “eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.”

Last December, Obama signed a repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, a monumental first step in allowing gay and lesbian Americans to serve openly in the Armed Forces and eliminating prejudices within the government and American society.

With June now being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Month, the formation of the Dyer Center means a lot for many people.

“This is a great thing for the university and the community,” Kaitlyn Burgett, a senior at Eastern, said.
The LGBT Resource Center at EMU works hard to create a supportive community at the university for the students. It organizes events, cookouts and other activities to raise awareness about the university’s LGBT community.

The Dyer Center plans to work closely with the LGBT Resource Center to attack homophobia and other sexual discriminations. Patrick hopes to organize faculty who want to work to minimize homophobia together so the Dyer Center and the faculty can combine their efforts and help one another in their combined goals.

With the formation of the Dyer Center the local LGBT community now also has a new resource at EMU as it begins operations with faculty members. The support for the LGBT community is increasing with support from both local and governmental agencies.